Ask UWM Chancellor about his Legacy

  • AnimalAdvocacy-owner@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 2012
      Ask University of Wisconsin-Madison (UWM) Chancellor David Ward about his Legacy

      Refer to previous alert #5413 at:

      Chancellor Ward is quite concerned about his legacy. In fact, he has a web site devoted to it:
      http://www.news.wisc.edu/packages/wardlegacy/bio.html

      Please write, fax or call or fax UWM Chancellor Ward and include some of the points below his contact info. Please try to be polite.

      Chancellor David Ward
      University of Wisconsin-Madison
      161 Bascom Hall
      500 Lincoln Drive
      Madison, WI 53706
      Email: chancellor@... (news.wisc.edu)
      Phone: 608-262-9946

      Points to include:

      * Chancellor Ward is currently presiding over an institution which is incubating violence and sadism. The American Psychiatric Association identifies animal cruelty as one of the diagnostic criteria for conduct disorders.

      * UWM researchers are training students in Mengele-like (see: http://www.mengele.dk/ ) experimentation that teaches young people to dismiss the cries and pain of the helpless for reckless and wanton "knowledge." Some training for future life, huh?

      * Margaret Mead says, "One of the most dangerous things that can happen to a young person is to kill or torture an animal and get away with it."

      * Such cruelty is recognized by the FBI as a precursor to violence against humans. The FBI sees animal cruelty as a predictor of violence against people and considers past animal abuse when profiling serial killers.

      * Read more at: http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/abuse_neglect/qa/cruelty_violence_connection_faq.html and http://paws.org/human-violence-connection.html

      * UWM's "animal research model" is 200-years-old and remains frozen in time. This is not science. Science always moves ahead. The U.S. National Academy of Sciences urges a major shift away from the use of animals.

      * UWM's animal tests don't mimic human experience and waste time and money. Today's students don't want to learn on outdated, unreliable, cruel and regressive "animal models."

      * The "animal model" is uncertain and misleading. It presumes that harmful impacts seen in one species will occur in others. It is intellectually lazy and dishonest.

      For more information to include in your letter, fax and/or call, please refer to the excellent fact sheets written by Brenda Schoss at Kindred Circle: http://kinshipcircle.org/fact_sheets/

      Please be polite and write, call or fax today.

      Please forward widely! This is felony animal abuse and must end today.
    • AnimalAdvocacy-owner@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 24, 2013
        Please take a moment to call the Dr. James F. Battey Jr. at the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders and politely ask that his agency immediately stop funding this cruel experiment on cats at UW. You can reach Dr. Battey's office at 301-402-0900.
        ---------------

        Following a detailed complaint filed by PETA, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has confirmed our allegations of rampant abuse of cats in a nightmarish taxpayer-funded laboratory at the University of Wisconsin Madison (UW) in which cats are mutilated, deafened, starved, and killed.

        In a scathing report just obtained by PETA, a federal inspector found "a pattern of recurring infections" among the cats and that all the cats whom PETA profiled in its complaint had been "diagnosed with chronic infections" after having steel posts screwed to open wounds on their heads and metal coils implanted in their eyes. The USDA also cited UW for a violation of the federal Animal Welfare Act for the school's abuse of Broc, pictured here. Experimenters burned Broc so badly with a heating pad that she required surgery.

        Broc is still alive in the laboratory

        The damning report notes that some cats, including Slinky, have become so ill because of infections that they were euthanized. Another cat named NJ even had to have her eye removed after the metal coil implanted in it because the site of a recurrent serious infection.

        The government also released never-before-seen heartbreaking photographs of NJ, Broc, and the five other mutilated cats who are still alive in the laboratory. We now know the faces of the other victims of this laboratory, in addition to Double Trouble.

        All these shocking revelations confirm what PETA has been saying for months: UW tortures animals and lies about it. It is long past time for the federal government to cut funding for this cruel and useless experiment. More than $3 million in tax money has been squandered on this abuse, and UW experimenters have nothing to show for it except a trail of suffering and dead cats.

        Please take a moment to call the Dr. James F. Battey Jr. at the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders and politely ask that his agency immediately stop funding this cruel experiment on cats at UW. You can reach Dr. Battey's office at 301-402-0900.

        Thank you for your compassion and for speaking out for animals in laboratories.

        Sincerely,

        Justin Goodman
        Justin Goodman
        Director
        Laboratory Investigations Department
        People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals