Fabulous Gifts for Helping Children Appreciate Animals

  • AnimalAdvocacy@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 27, 2009
      What a wonderful list of books to help young people appreciate animals. Buying one or more also benefit United Animal Nations -- the first responder to animal victims of disasters. See the list at:

      http://www.uan.org/index.cfm?navId=183

      How narrow we selfish, conceited creatures are in our sympathies! How
      blind to the rights of all the rest of creation!
      -- John Muir, Founder Sierra Club
    • AnimalAdvocacy@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 28, 2009
        IMPORTANT for VIRGINIA Residents & Visitors

        It is important for all Virginia residents, or those who plan to visit Virginia, to write these officials about the sentencing of this case.

        Background: On September 9, 2008 Steven Clark and Donald Blake threw gasoline on a cat and set the animal on fire. When the cat ran away, they caught it and tied it to a cinder block with Weed Eater string and set the animal on fire once again. Veterinary necropsy results revealed that damage to the lungs showed that the cat had inhaled hot gases while still breathing.

        On April 3, 2009 sentencing was as follows:

        5 year prison sentence
        3 years 3 months suspended
        21 months active prison term
        3 years supervised probation
        Restitution of any and all bills in connection with this incident.

        I think it is important to ensure that these two men receive psychological evaluation and treatment. Otherwise they will be released to continue to torture and kill other innocent victims. Please join me in inquiring as to their follow-on treatment while serving 21 months in prison. PLEASE ASK FOR A REPLY. We don't want them walking the streets with our children, neighbors and animal friends.

        For examples to include in your letter, see cases from police files at the bottom of the letter at:

        A Sample Letter and Contact Information are below. Please write, fax or email and forward widely. You could also enclose information about the animal-human violence connection from such sites as:

        www.psyeta.org/beyond_violence.html
        www.animalcrueltyisfamilyviolence.org
        www.pet-abuse.com/pages/abuse_connection.php

        TO:

        The Honorable D. Bruce Patterson
        Clerk of Rockbridge Circuit Court
        2 South Main Street
        Lexington, VA 24450
        FAX: 540/463-3850
        email: dBPatterson@... (courts.state.va.us)

        The Honorable Robert N. Joyce, Jr.
        Office of the Commonwealth Attorney
        17 Court House Square
        Lexington, Virginia 24450
        FAX: (540) 463-6628

        Mayor Mimi Elrod
        300 East Washington Street
        P.O. Box 922
        Lexington, Virginia 24450
        FAX: 540-463-5310
        e-mail: mimicobb11@... (gmail.com)

        Case #Case Numbers GC08010355-00 and GC08010307-00) - Blake and Clark
        Concern with Sentencing

        Honored Officials:

        On September 9, 2008 Steven Clark and Donald Blake threw gasoline on a cat and set the animal on fire. When the cat ran away, they caught it and tied it to a cinder block with Weed Eater string and set the animal on fire once again. Veterinary necropsy results revealed that damage to the lungs showed that the cat had inhaled hot gases while still breathing. Blake and Clark faced Class 6 felony charges for torturing and willfully and inhumanely inflicting pain and maiming and mutilating a companion animal resulting in its death.

        Thank you treating these cases as serious crimes, and for sentencing these young men to prison on April 3, 2009. I am, however, concerned that you suspended over three years of your five-year sentence. No mention was made of any type of mandated pyschological evaluation and treatment. In 21 months Steven Clark and Donald Blake will again be walking the streets as a threat to our children, neighbors and companion animals.

        As I'm sure you are aware aware, law-enforcement officials and mental health professionals consider cruelty to animals a precursor to violent crimes against humans. The American Psychiatric
        Association identifies animal cruelty as one of the diagnostic criteria for conduct disorders, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) uses reports of animal cruelty in analyzing the threat potential of suspected and known criminals.

        Please don't allow potential serial killers, of which we have seen several examples unfortunately in recent days in the US and Europe, to fester in our jails and be released into our community untreated. Many animal abusers have "graduated" to equally horrific crimes against humans.

        I would like to know if the charges for incarceration will include psychological evaluation and treatment. Let's not release monsters back into our society to commit further atrocities to our loved ones.

        Respectfully,