Boys Continue Stoning Geese to Death: Ask Police to Investigate

  • AnimalAdvocacy@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2009
      The Washington Post reported that boys are stoning nesting geese to death in a park in Springfield, Virginia (Fairfax County.) See:
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/28/AR2009032801626_2.html

      Please contact the Fairfax County Police and ask them to assign a detective to this case. Mention that these animal abusers are exhibiting severe psychiatric disorders and the FBI has found they often progress to crimes against humans. Make your request online at:
      https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/contact/MailForm.aspx?agId=2068

      For ideas to include in your request, you may want to reference information found at: http://www.hsus.org/hsus_field/first_strike_the_connection_between_animal_cruelty_and_human_violence/

      PLEASE FORWARD WIDELY

      Senseless Violence in Springfield (Virginia)
      March 29, 2009

      There is a pond near a bike path between the Franconia-Springfield Metro Station and the Greenwood Community in Springfield. Each year, Canada geese arrive at the pond in the fall to nest and raise their families.

      Recently, some young neighborhood boys have found a new hobby: They have been stoning the geese to death. Above is a photo of their latest prize and his mate, standing over the body. The goose has been standing vigil for many days now, waiting for her to join him. They mate for life, you know.

      He wards off all other geese that come near, as if he were protecting her in a nest. Her final repose does give that illusion. I am beginning to worry that he may himself expire for lack of nourishment, and I had thought of removing the body in the hopes that he might move on. But then I thought I'd just be making things worse. I have a tendency to think that his reactions are instinct and just nature's way.

      But nature didn't cause this.

      Perhaps the boys who did this will see this picture and reflect on what they have done. Perhaps not.

      -- Tom Norato, Springfield