The Psychos at OSU are at it again: Pls Write!

  • AnimalAdvocacy@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 15, 2007
      The Psychos at OSU are at it again: Pls Write! (See links and
      sample comments below)

      PLEASE WRITE AND FORWARD WIDELY!

      Opportunity #1) Please send a letter to the editor any of the
      newspapers published in Ohio by going to this link and and typing in
      the OSU zip code of 43210:

      http://www.congress.org/congressorg/dbq/media/

      Opportunity #2) Please comment on the recent article published in
      OSU paper, The Lantern.

      Note they did not cover our demonstration on Thursday, Oct 11th.
      Maybe note there is another demonstration on Saturday, October 27th
      at Noon being held at the Vet Clinic.

      http://media.www.thelantern.com/media/storage/paper333/news/2007/10/15/Campus/Researchers.Study.Drug.For.Feline.Virus-3032690.shtml

      ISSUE: Researchers study drug for feline virus
      Issue date: 10/15/07
      Researchers at Ohio State will spend the next two years testing
      their theories about how an AIDS-like virus in cats is able to
      resist the powerful medicines that are thrown against it. It's one
      of the latest efforts at understanding one of the leading problem
      areas in medicine today - antimicrobial drug resistance.

      When bacteria or viruses become resistant to drugs, they become more
      difficult, or even impossible, to treat. If successful, the research
      could pave the way to smarter, more effective treatments for a host
      of pathogens that have learned to resist most therapeutic efforts.
      Lawrence Mathes, OSU professor of veterinary biosciences and
      associate dean for research and graduate studies in the College of
      Veterinary Medicine, is the principal investigator on the project.

      SAMPLE COMMENTS:

      Please write your own letters. Sample comments include:

      "Ask the experimenters why they experiment on animals, and the
      answer is: 'Because the animals are like us.' Ask the experimenters
      why it is morally OK to experiment on animals, and the answer
      is: 'Because the animals are not like us.' Animal experimentation
      rests on a logical contradiction."
      -Professor Charles R. Magel

      Using animals for medical conclusions in humans is morally
      reprehensible and intellectually lazy.

      The most significant trend in modern research in recent years has
      been the recognition that animals are rarely good models for the
      human body. Studies have shown time and again that researchers are
      often wasting lives, both animal and human, and precious resources
      by trying to infect animals with diseases that they would never
      normally contract. As Dr. Richard Klausner of the National Cancer
      Institute admitted, "The history of cancer research has been a
      history of curing cancer in the mouse. We have cured mice of cancer
      for decades, and it simply didn't work in humans."

      The world's most forward-thinking scientists have accepted this and
      moved on to other methods of studying disease. The National Cancer
      Institute now uses human cancer cells, taken by biopsy during
      surgery, to perform first-stage testing for its new anti-cancer
      drugs, sparing the million mice it used to use every year and giving
      us a much better shot at combating cancer.

      Animal experimentation is a multibillion-dollar industry fueled by
      massive public funding and involving a complex web of corporate,
      government, and university laboratories, cage and food
      manufacturers, and animal breeders, dealers, and transporters. The
      industry and its people profit because animals, who cannot defend
      themselves against abuse, are legally imprisoned and exploited.

      Ray Greek, MD writes: Investing AIDS research dollars in lab animal
      science is wasteful and keeps AIDS patients ill. Anyway, animals are
      not our only test-beds for development of AIDS therapies and a
      vaccine. As many as 34 million humans are infected with HIV
      worldwide. Blood cells from these unfortunate people serve as our
      most illuminating research material.

      In vitro research on human blood cells, not animal experimentation,
      revealed the following idiosyncrasies. HIV's efficiency in humans
      relies on very specific and minuscule aspects of human white blood
      cells called helper T-cells. These cells have portals on their
      surface called receptors. These receptors work in tandem with
      precise proteins to invite HIV into the white blood cell where the
      virus then reproduces. Receptors can be very species-specific and
      sometimes vary even within species, which explains why chimpanzees
      and even some people whose helper T-cells are exposed to HIV never
      progress to AIDS.

      HIV-infected humans who do not progress to AIDS offer very good
      insights into possible ways of countermanding the disease. Their
      identity is epidemiologically derived, and in vitro research has
      isolated the human gene believed responsible for their immunity. The
      sequencing of the HIV genome was also accomplished via in vitro
      research. The animal experimentation community claims that AZT and
      other anti-AIDS medications were developed as a result of animal
      experiments. However, a look at the history of these drugs'
      development proves the contrary. All this human data has reliably
      informed the development of HIV medications and the effort to
      produce a vaccine.

      AIDS kills at the cellular level in humans, and that is where it
      needs to be studied. According to one scientist, we will only know
      which animal model is useful after "we understand the pathogenesis
      of AIDS, and when we have the vaccines and therapies to prevent it."
      Why would we need the animal model if we already have the cure?