The Kinship Poem & One Other

  • AnimalAdvocacy@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2006
      "My furs are not in storage, nor lying on the bed,
      they're dancing 'round my feet, waiting to be fed."

      --Fabio Paiva
      Pelo fim do Holocausto Animal

      KINSHIP

      by Ella Wheeler Wilcox

      I am the voice of the voiceless;
      Through me the dumb shall speak,
      Till the deaf world's ear be made to hear
      The wrongs of the wordless weak.

      From street, from cage and from kennel,
      From stable and zoo, the wail
      Of my tortured kin proclaims the sin
      Of the mighty against the frail.

      Oh, shame on the mothers of mortals
      Who have not stopped to teach
      Of the sorrow that lies in dear, dumb eyes,
      The sorrow that has no speech.

      The same force formed the sparrow
      That fashioned man the king;
      The God of the whole gave a spark of soul
      To furred and to feathered thing.

      And I am my brother's keeper,
      And I will fight his fight,
      And speak the word for beast and bird,