Seven Practices for Peace

  • AnimalAdvocacy@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2005
      Thanks to Shell for reminding us to pause and center ourselves on
      seven practices for peace.

      The following is reprinted from Deepak Chopra's "Peace is the Way."

      Seven Practices for Peace

      The program for peacemakers asks you to follow a specific practice
      every day, each one centered on the theme of peace.

      Sunday: Being for Peace
      Monday: Thinking for Peace
      Tuesday: Feeling for Peace
      Wednesday: Speaking for Peace
      Thursday: Acting for Peace
      Friday: Creating for Peace
      Saturday: Sharing for Peace

      Our hope is that you will create peace on every level of your life.
      Each practice takes only a few minutes. You can be as private or
      outspoken as you wish. But those around you will know that you are for
      peace, not just through good intentions but by the way you conduct
      your life on a daily basis.

      Sunday: Being for Peace

      Today, take 5 minutes to meditate for peace. Sit quietly with your
      eyes closed. Put your attention on your heart and inwardly repeat
      these four words: Peace, Harmony, Laughter, Love. Allow these words to
      radiate from your heart's stillness out into your body. As you end
      your meditation, say to yourself, "Today I will relinquish all
      resentments and grievances." Bring into your mind anyone against whom
      you have a grievance and let it go. Send that person your forgiveness.

      Monday: Thinking for Peace

      Thinking has power when it is backed by intention. Today, introduce
      the intention of peace in your thoughts. Take a few moments of
      silence, then repeat this ancient prayer:

      Let me be loved, let me be happy, let me be peaceful.
      Let my friends be happy, loved, and peaceful.
      Let my perceived enemies be happy, loved, and peaceful.
      Let all beings be happy, loved, and peaceful.
      Let the whole world experience these things.

      Any time during the day if you are overshadowed by fear or anger,
      repeat these intentions. Use this prayer to get back on center.

      Tuesday: Feeling for Peace

      This is the day to experience the emotions of peace. The emotions of
      peace are compassion, understanding, and love.

      Compassion is the feeling of shared suffering. When you feel someone
      else's suffering, there is the birth of understanding.

      Understanding is the knowledge that suffering is shared by everyone.
      When you understand that you aren't alone in your suffering, there is
      the birth of love.

      When there is love there is the opportunity for peace.

      As your practice, observe a stranger some time during your day.
      Silently say to yourself, "This person is just like me. Like me, this
      person has experienced joy and sorrow, despair and hope, fear and
      love. Like me, this person has people in his or her life who deeply
      care and love them. Like me, this person's life is impermanent and
      will one day end. This person's peace is as important as my peace. I
      want peace, harmony, laughter, and love in their life and the life of
      all beings."

      Wednesday: Speaking for Peace

      Today, the purpose of speaking is to create happiness in the listener.
      Have this intention: Today every word I utter will be chosen
      consciously. I will refrain from complaints, condemnation, and criticism.

      Your practice is to do at least one of the following:

      - Tell someone how much you appreciate them.
      - Express genuine gratitude to those who have helped and loved you.
      - Offer healing or nurturing words to someone who needs them.
      - Show respect to someone whose respect you value.
      If you find that you are reacting negatively to anyone, in a way that
      isn't peaceful, refrain from speaking and keep silent. Wait to speak
      until you feel centered and calm, and then speak with respect.

      Thursday: Acting for Peace

      Today is the day to help someone in need: A child, a sick person, an
      older or frail person. Help can take many forms. Tell yourself, "Today
      I will bring a smile to a stranger's face. If someone acts in a
      hurtful way to me or someone else, I will respond with a gesture of
      loving kindness. I will send an anonymous gift to someone, however
      small. I will offer help without asking for gratitude or recognition."

      Friday: Creating for Peace

      Today, come up with at least one creative idea to resolve a conflict,
      either in your personal life or your family circle or among friends.
      If you can, try and create an idea that applies to your community, the
      nation, or the whole world.You may change an old habit that isn't
      working, look at someone a new way, offer words you never offered
      before, or think of an activity that brings people together in good
      feeling and laughter.

      Second, invite a family member or friend to come up with one creative
      idea of this kind on their own. Creativity feels best when you are the
      one thinking up the new idea or approach. Make it known that you
      accept and enjoy creativity. Be loose and easy. Let the ideas flow and
      try out anything that has appeal. The purpose here is to bond, because
      only when you bond with others can there be mutual trust. When you
      trust, there is no need for hidden hostility and suspicion, which are
      the two great enemies of peace.

      Saturday: Sharing for Peace

      Today, share your practice of peacemaking with two people. Give them
      this information and invite them to begin the daily practice. As more
      of us participate in this sharing, our practice will expand into a
      critical mass. Today joyfully celebrate your own peace consciousness
      with at least one other peace-conscious person. Connect either trough
      e-mail or phone.

      Share your experience of growing peace.

      Share your gratitude that someone else is as serious about peace as
      you are.

      Share your ideas for helping the world move closer to critical mass.

      Do whatever you can, in small or large ways, to assist anyone who
      wants to become a peacemaker.

      The Best Reason to Become a Peacemaker

      Now you know the program. If you transform yourself into a peacemaker,
      you won't become an activist marching in the streets. You will not be
      "anti" anything. No money is required. All you are asked to do is to
      go within and dedicate yourself to peace.

      It just might work.

      Even if you don't immediately see a decline in violence around the
      world, you will know in your heart that you have dedicated your own
      life to peace.