Kerry's Record on Animal Welfare & Environmental Issues

  • AnimalAdvocacy@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13, 2004
      Kerry's Record on Animal Welfare & Environmental Issues

      (with thanks to Grace H. for researching this information)

      ...although Kerry is not the ideal candidate, I'd like to point out
      that he actually has a pretty good record on environmental and animal
      protection votes. Such as:

      From Humane Scorecard (HSUS and Fund for Animals):

      Co-sponsored Bill S.736 --making Animal Fighting a felony
      Co-sponsored S.1298 --Bill re. humane euthanasia of downers, and
      banning human consumption of them
      Voted for amendment to prevent consideration of drilling in ANWAR
      Voted for requiring DOD to protect endangered species (amendment to
      S.1050)
      Voted for increased funds to USDA to improve enforcement of federal
      animal fighting law

      ---He received a score of 100% from HSUS/Fund for Animals for his
      votes on animal protection legislation.

      From League of Conservation Voters:
      Kerry voted pro-environment on the following:

      Climate-Stewardship Act (S.139) - to reduce global warming
      Voted against Arctic drilling and against off-shore drilling
      Voted for Superfund Tax (to clean toxic sites) and a Renewable Fuel
      Liability waiver
      Voted for Amendment to hold off on changes to new source review
      regulations (allowing more pollution) to evaluate impact on
      environment, etc.
      Voted against giving addition subsidies to nuclear industry, and
      voted pro-environment on damaging water development project at Devils
      Lake , ND, etc.

      When you add all these up, I believe Kerry's approach could have a
      huge impact on protecting habitats and wildlife, and on other animal
      issues. And when you compare this to the assault by the current
      administration on every aspect of the environment (air, water,
      wetlands, forests, parks, mining mountain tops, etc.) on which
      animals, and humans, depend -- I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss
      Kerry (in favor of Nader).