URGENT for Maryland Residents!

  • Vicki Katrinak
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 29, 2004
      URGENT for Maryland Residents - Call Your Legislators today to end the use of leghold traps

      Please forward widely!

      SUPPORT THE BILL TO BAN THE USE OF LEGHOLD TRAPS

      (Note: When contacting legislators, I would emphasize that as many as one third of animals caught in leghold traps are family "pets" who either die or have to have a limb amputated. How many years have we tried to get a ban on these traps, and I'm convinced that most people could care less about a racoon or fox, or I should say, they care alot more about their dogs and cats.)

      Leghold traps are designed to slam shut on the leg or foot of any animal unfortunate enough to encounter them. The jaws often cause ligaments and skin to tear, and frequently animals will dislocate, chew or pull off limbs that are caught. Due to their indiscriminate design, non-target wildlife as well as numerous domestic dogs and cats fall victim to these traps. Leghold traps are used by commercial and recreational trappers to kill wildlife for the fur trade. Currently, leghold traps are banned in Montgomery, Baltimore, Prince Georges and Anne Arundel counties. However, legislation to be introduced by Delegate Barbara Frush will ban the recreational use of steel jaw leghold traps for the entire state. This bill is slightly different from last year in that it allows the DNR to give permits for the use of leghold traps under certain extreme circumstances.

      WHAT YOU CAN DO: Please contact your Maryland state delegates TODAY and ask them to cosponsor Delegate Frush's leghold trap bill. You can find out who your delegates are and how to contact them by going to: http://mdelect.net/lookup.asp.

      When you contact your delegates be sure to tell them that you are a constituent and ask them to "cosponsor Delegate Frush's leghold trap legislation." Please also give them Delegate Frush's extension (X3114) and politely ask them to call her office today to sign up as a cosponsor.

      THANK YOU FOR TAKING ACTION TO PROTECT MARYLAND´┐ŻS ANIMALS!

      For more information, contact Vicki Katrinak at: VKatrinak@... (hsus.org)