Pls Write-Bull Used in Spain as Dart Board in Sickening Festival

  • AnimalAdvocacy@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2003
      Bull Used in Spain as Dart Board in Sickening Festival

      Please write & forward widely (sample letter attached).

      SAMPLE LETTER FROM KINSHIP CIRCLE
      Bull Used As Dart Board In Sickening Festival
      http://www.kinshipcircle.org
      1 letter

      SOURCE OF INFORMATION:
      PETA Action Alerts E-News, June 20, 2003
      http://www.peta.org/alert/automation/AlertItem.asp?id=757

      SAMPLE LETTER: Remember to include your name, address and country.
      Please change some of the words so all the letters aren't identical.
      Be sure to mention how this barbaric activity affects your plans to
      visit Spain or buy Spanish products.
      TO:
      City Hall of Coria
      email: info@... (coria.org)

      Board of Tourism
      Avd. Extremadura, 39
      10800 Coria
      Caceres
      Spain
      email: turismo@... (coria.org)

      Diputacion Provincial de Caceres
      Plaza de Santa Maria, s/n
      10071 Caceres
      Spain
      fax: +34 927255471
      email: presidencia@dip
      (Moderator's note: I don't believe this email address is correct as
      it should end in something indicating it's the Spanish government,
      such as dip.sp.gov -- anyone know for sure?)

      Honorable Officials:

      I am shocked to learn that authorities in Coria, Spain and the
      European Union (EU) not only condone, but also promote the grossly
      inhumane Fiesta of San Juan.

      In an effort to keep the Spanish "tradition" alive, tourists and
      locals chase a bull through the streets to shoot darts into the
      terrified animal. Men aim for sensitive areas such as the nose, eyes
      and testicles. After at least two hours of sheer agony, the weak and
      blood-drenched animal is castrated while still alive.

      I understand the EU subsidizes the town of Coria because this so-
      called festival enhances tourism. My friends, family and colleagues
      would never spend our vacation dollars in a country that brutalizes
      animals for public amusement.

      Tradition is never an excuse for cruelty. If it were, human slavery,
      lynching, cannibalism or foot-binding would still be acceptable
      cultural mores. Neither heritage, culture, entertainment, art, nor
      religion justify outright torture.

      Scientists have long confirmed that animals exhibit an elaborate
      range of psychological, perceptual, behavioral, personal and communal
      initiative. They communicate differently, but the voice is there.
      They do not want to be gored and mutilated. Like us, they want to
      live.

      It is time for Spain to outlaw all archaic animal sacrifices--or face
      worldwide censure. My family will not vacation in Coria until laws
      are enacted to prohibit such cruel spectacles as the Fiesta of San
      Juan.

      Sincerely,