Call Your U.S. Representative's Local Office Today re: Arctic Drilling!

  • AnimalAdvocacy@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2 9:52 AM
      Please Call Your U.S. Representative's Local Office Today re: Arctic
      Drilling! (Deadline for calls is April 11, 2003)

      Forward widely!

      CALL/LETTER TO U.S. HOUSE TO STOP PUSH FOR ARCTIC DRILLING
      Take action by April 11, 2003
      Source: The Wilderness Society

      This is an urgent request for your phone calls and faxes to the U.S.
      House of Representatives to protect the Arctic National Wildlife
      Refuge yet again. Despite the Senate's 52-48 bipartisan rejection of
      Arctic drilling on March 19, the House continues to push its drilling
      plans through every available vehicle.

      The latest attack comes in the House energy bill, which the House
      Resources Committee will begin debating starting Wednesday, April 2.
      The measure will probably come to the House floor sometime next week.
      Among its many damaging provisions, the bill would open the Coastal
      Plain of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil and gas drilling.

      Reps. Ed Markey (D-MA), Nancy Johnson (R-CT), and others will offer
      an amendment on the floor next week to strike the Arctic Refuge
      provisions. We can't be sure which day the vote will come, but House
      leaders have vowed to pass an energy bill before they leave for their
      spring recess April 11. Two years ago, the House narrowly approved an
      energy bill that would have opened the Arctic to drilling. We expect
      the vote to be very close this time as well and we can't afford to
      take even a single vote for granted. Drilling proponents are applying
      heavy pressure on swing members. Conservationists are pushing back
      just as hard.

      Because of the accelerated timetable for this legislation, we
      urgently need you to call your member of Congress NOW! You can reach
      your representative through the Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121.
      Please make your call today! We've listed talking points below.
      **************************************
      BACKGROUND
      Despite the Senate's bipartisan 52-48 vote to strip Arctic drilling
      out of the federal budget for 2004, drilling proponents continue to
      press to open the Arctic Refuge through other bills. The latest
      threat comes in the energy bills being considered in both houses
      right now. The House's version would open the Refuge to oil and gas
      leasing.

      Make no mistake: this bill poses a grave threat to the Arctic
      National Wildlife Refuge. The Senate will mark up its own version of
      the bill next week. In its current form, the Senate bill does not
      contain Arctic drilling language, but the House passes an Arctic
      drilling provision, then a House-Senate conference convened to
      reconcile differences in the two measures could decide to include
      drilling in the final bill.

      INCOMPARABLE HABITAT AND WILDERNESS
      The rolling tundra of the Arctic Refuge coastal plain with the snow-
      capped Brooks Range in the background is a breathtaking sight. The
      Refuge is prized the world over for its wildness, beauty, and the
      incomparable habitat it provides to arctic wildlife, including
      wolves, grizzlies, caribou and millions of migrating birds. It is
      also the subject of an intense lobbying campaign by the oil industry.

      Oil exploration and drilling in the Arctic will ruin one of our last
      great wild places, all for what the U.S. Geological Survey concedes
      is less oil than the U.S. uses in six months, and which wouldn't get
      here for 10 years or more. Moreover, the Energy Information
      Administration has concluded that drilling in the Refuge would only
      reduce American dependence on oil imports from a projected 62% of our
      total oil supply in 2020 to 60% at peak production.

      The energy bill the House is now considering is very similar to HR 4,
      the ill-conceived legislation that passed the House in August 2001.
      In addition to Arctic drilling, the bill would extend massive
      subsidies to the fossil fuels industries. Other provisions seek
      to "expedite" the development of energy projects on federal lands,
      almost certainly at the expense of environmental values.

      In fact, throughout the bill, existing laws and policies designed to
      protect environmental values are labeled as "impediments"
      and "restrictions" on energy development. Sacrificing our environment
      in order to make it easier for energy companies to exploit publicly
      owned resources should not be the foundation of an energy policy for
      the 21st century. We need an energy policy that protects our wild
      places and invests more in cleaner, safer, renewable sources of
      energy.

      ***********************************
      WHAT YOU CAN DO:

      Call Now!
      Phone calls are the most helpful action you can take
      because there is so little time. Please use the talking
      points below when you call. The number for the House
      switchboard, again, is 202-224-3121. Again, if you
      could let us know by email what you hear when you call,
      it will help us considerably in defending the Arctic
      Refuge.

      TALKING POINTS
      When you call your congressional office, simply tell
      the person who answers the phone that you'd like to
      provide your Representative your opinion about the
      Energy Bill. That person will take a message and may
      also be keeping a tally of calls. Please express these
      major points:

      1. Please ask the Representative to support the amendment
      to the energy bill that will protect the Arctic National
      Wildlife Refuge from oil drilling.

      2. The Arctic Refuge is an incomparable wilderness
      and important wildlife habitat.

      3. Oil development will do little for American energy
      security; we need an energy policy that protects wild
      places and invests more in cleaner, safer, renewable
      energy sources;

      ~~~~~~~~~~~please personalize sample letter~~~~~~/j

      TO: Representative________________
      U.S. House of Representatives
      Washington, DC 20515

      Re: Strike Arctic Refuge Oil Drilling From the Energy Bill

      Dear Representative ________:

      I am very concerned about the attempt to include in energy
      legislation now under consideration in the House a proposal to drill
      in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. A solid majority of the
      American public strongly supports protecting the Arctic Refuge from
      drilling. Like the Senate, the House should reject all attempts to
      drill the Arctic.

      Drilling in the Arctic will ruin one of our last great wild places,
      yet it will do little to increase national security, or reduce our
      dependence on imported oil. Indeed, the U.S. Geological Survey
      concedes that the Refuge likely holds less oil than the U.S. uses in
      six months, and it wouldn't reach consumers for 10 years or more.

      We need an energy policy that protects our wild places and invests
      more in cleaner, safer, renewable sources of energy NOW.

      The Arctic National Wildlife Refuge is an incomparable wilderness and
      important wildlife habitat. It is simply too special to sacrifice
      for short-term gain. The oil industry has tried to open the Arctic
      to development for more than thirty years. Thankfully, over the
      past three decades, Senators have refused to yield to the industry's
      arguments, despite international wars, rising gas prices, and budget
      deficits.

      I am depending upon you to exhibit that kind of intelligent
      leadership. Please support the amendment to strike Arctic Refuge
      oil drilling from the Energy Bill.

      Sincerely,

      Your Name
      Your Address

      Remember the Animals: They Don't Vote, But People Who Love Them Do