A Request: When Writing Letters to Companies re Animal Testing

  • Artemisd123@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2002
      A Request: When Writing Letters to Companies re Animal Testing

      We've written so many letters to companies asking them to stop animal
      tests. After getting trite form letter replies blaming government
      requirements to use animals…blah, blah, blah…, can we change the
      focus of our requests?

      It is my experience that industry always has, and always will, "work"
      with their government counterparts to ensure regulations and
      rulemakings get written to their benefit, so when they cry "the
      government makes me do this," I think bulls--t!

      I'd like to request that we start off our letters something like:

      Dear ________:

      I am considering whether to [purchase your products, buy your stocks,
      use your services, recommend you to my friends, etc] but am concerned
      that you are relying on outdated, unreliable, costly and cruel animal
      tests. Good science is always predictive; animal tests teach us
      nothing except in hindsight.

      [I'd next insert some of the wonderful information Brenda Shoss has
      published in her many letters to drug companies mentioning such
      tests/technologies as Corrositex Assay, Agarose Diffusion Method,
      EpiDerm, etc etc]

      As an industry leader in [pharmaceuticals, new product development,
      etc.] what are you doing to work with your government counterparts to
      ensure animal tests are promptly replaced by these safe, efficient
      methods mentioned above. Industry always has and always will work
      with government agencies in ensuring rulemakings and regulations are
      compatible with the best industry has to offer, and you can do no
      less in the case of [products, services, technologies, etc] that
      impact human health and safety. [I believe companies and researchers
      sadly "tune out" to the argument of animal cruelty and only listen
      to "human health and safety" as reasons for change.]

      Before I will consume your products or recommend them to others, I
      want to learn what you are specifically doing to work with government
      regulators to ensure that costly, dangerous, unreliable and
      antiquated animal tests are replaced with state-of-the-art methods
      that are relevant to the human system. [using Brenda's words here:]
      An animal can't mimic our response to disease, drugs or chemicals
      because anatomical, physiological and even psychological differences
      are too great. Animal-tested drugs and lab-induced disease account
      for 1 in 6 hospitalizations and over 100,000 U.S. deaths a year due
      to adverse drug reactions. [Brenda – what is your citation for this
      statistic?]

      Again, please let me know what [company's name] is doing to be pro-
      active to change existing regulations that keep us in the dark ages
      of pseudo-science. I don't want to use your products unless I can be
      sure they are tested safely with results that are predictive and
      accurate.

      Sincerely,

      ALSO – Dr. Ray Greek asks that we not use "alternate tests"
      or "alternatives" when referring to non-animal tests because that
      implies that animal tests are another legitimate "alternative" – they
      are nothing of the sort! Dr. Greek suggests we say, for
      example, "use non-animal tests," rather than say, "use
      alternatives." We don't want to imply that they are equally good or
      valid, because they're not!