Brutal slaying of 33 wild horses - Pls send letters

  • bbwest@snet.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2001
      Source: Lifesavers, Inc.
      www.wildhorserescue.org

      There was a tragedy in Nevada. 33 beautiful horses on a quiet Nevada
      hillside shot and killed. Just picked off with rifles. Rotten
      shots, the horses didn't all die immediately. The killers tracked
      them down, tortured them -- sprayed fire extinguishers in the
      anguished faces of the dying horses, ignored the screams and flailing
      hooves, and then left them to die an agonizing death.

      A man and his two friends were arrested, but the defense attorneys
      got all but one of the charges dismissed, and bragged they'd beaten
      the system.

      The accused men had bought a spotlight and ammunition, then gone to
      the hillside where the horses were murdered. They admit that they
      shot at the horses then picked up their shell casings. One man says
      he wounded a horse, another says he killed a dying horse to put it
      out of its misery. But they all deny they killed the other 32
      horses - in the very same spot - on the very same night!

      Storey County District Attorney Janet Hess went before the Nevada
      Supreme Court on October 23, 2000 to argue for the appeal of the
      dropped charges! On Friday April 20, 2001, the Nevada Supreme Court
      returned the case to District Judge Michael Griffin, saying Griffin
      could allow prosecutors to file seven more gross misdemeanor charges.
      This brings the total charges against the defendants to 8 gross
      misdemeanor counts. No trial set until the additional charges are
      filed.

      Even though the Supreme Court has ruled that there are 8 counts of
      gross misdemeanor charges the defense attorneys can still file
      appeals and motions for dismissal.

      ***Please send letters by June 4, 2001***
      To fax a letter, please go to www.free2fax.com, click on "Send a free
      fax" and follow instructions.

      Sample Letter #1 - Please include your name, address

      Governor Kenny C. Guinn
      State Of Nevada
      Office of the Governor
      101 N. Carson Street
      Carson City, NV 89701
      phone 775 684-5670
      fax 775 684-5683
      E-mail: govern@... (govmail.state.nv.us)

      Please reconsider charges in brutal horse slaughter!

      Dear Governor Guinn:

      Please add my voice to those who request your immediate
      reconsideration of the dropped charges in the brutal slaughter of 33
      mustangs in Storey County.

      I believe there is more than enough evidence to show forethought and
      intent:
      1. The accused purchased ammunition and spotlights the very night of
      the killing.
      2. They admit they shot at wild horses in the very location of the
      slaughter.
      3. They admit to killing one horse and injuring another.
      4. They admit to spraying a horse with a fire extinguisher after he
      died.
      5. They admit to removing their shell casings and beer cans before
      leaving the area.

      The next day, 33 horses were found shot to death.

      This is not the first time defenseless horses have been used for
      target practice. As you may know, social scientists and law
      enforcement officials have identified animal abuse as a symptom of
      emotional illness and a precursor to violent crimes against human
      beings. As a society, we must call a halt to the acceptance of
      cruelty to animals and enforce a policy of harsh punishment for these
      crimes. To allow individuals guilty of perpetrating such cruel acts
      to go unpunished or not sufficiently punished would be to sanction
      these horrific crimes and would permit them to go on to commit
      serious and violent crimes against humans.

      Legislation in Nevada makes some acts of cruelty a felony. Please
      send a strong message to the community that these atrocious acts will
      not go unpunished by imposing the maximum penalty and requiring
      mental health evaluations for the perpetrators.

      Thank you for attention to this very important matter. I look
      forward to learning what action you take.

      Sincerely,

      Voice your opinion to Judge Michael Griffin on his dropping of the
      charges! Due to an apparent lack of physical evidence, all but one
      gross misdemeanor charge against the three suspects were dropped by
      Judge Michael Griffin. The Supreme Court overturned that decision by
      allowing a total of 8 gross misdemeanor charges be filed.

      Sample Letter #2 - Please include your name, address

      Honorable Judge Michael Griffin
      Storey County District Court
      26 South B Street Courthouse
      Virginia City, NV 89440
      phone 775 847-0964
      fax 775 847-1007

      Honorable Judge Griffin,

[...]

      Encourage the District Attorneys to pursue strong convictions!
      We have delivered over 40,000 letters to Ms. Janet Hess from people
      like you all over the United States. It is greatly due to public
      pressure that the suspects trial was held over for District Court. If
      not for the concerned interest of the public, these three killers
      could have gotten off scott free already. Now, they must stand before
      a jury and be judged. Keep the letters flowing...it really does make
      a difference!

      Sample Letter #3 - Please include your name, address
      Ms. Janet Hess
      and Ms. Sharon Claasson
      26 South B Street
      Virginia City, NV 89440

      Dear Ms. Hess and Ms. Claasson,

      Please add my voice to those who request that you ardently pursue the
      remaining charge against the three alleged murderers of the 33
      mustangs on that Nevada hillside.

[...]

      not go unpunished by persuing the maximum penalty and mental health