Re: strings

  • michaeljking2007
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 2, 2007
      I know this a late reply but I found this supplier for all kinds of
      metal wires including silver,(UK site) I have ordered some brass wire
      from them to check it out.

      http://www.wires.co.uk/acatalog/si_bare.html

      --- In Anglo_Saxon_Lyres@yahoogroups.com, David Friedman <ddfr@...> wrote:

      > I can find sources for red brass and yellow brass wire online, and
      > have sources for silver wire. Can anyone suggest what guages would be
      > appropriate if I want to experiment with wire stringing one of my
      > lyres?
      >
      > Gold is expensive and I gather from a little googling that iron, at
      > least for harp strings, becomes common well after lyres went out of
      > use. But I expect the other three should do it.
      > --
      > David Friedman
      > www.daviddfriedman.com
      > daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/

    • delkaoth
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 3, 2008
        That Gusli is pretty nice!

        What strings (in metal) would I use for a 14 stinged lyre?
        I want it to be in this scale from lowest to highest...

        GABCDEFGABCDEF

        But I don't know what types of strings to get. I wish for the lowest
        notes to be fairly low, and the highest ones somewhere around middle
        high.