Re: Trossingen Questions

  • Tim Caldwell
    Message 1 of 125 , Jun 1, 2007
      --- In Anglo_Saxon_Lyres@yahoogroups.com, David Friedman <ddfr@...>
      wrote:

      Hi David, Michael,

      > My German isn't very good, but I think the author of the article
      say
      > that the beech dowels protruded beyond the surface of the
      instrument
      > and conjectures that they were attachments for a sling or
      something
      > similar.

      My translation isn't fantastic either, but I think she's saying the
      dowels might by for a strap for hanging the instrument when not in
      use. I don't think she says exactly how much the dowels protrude,
      but you can get a fair idea from the colour photos in our photos
      section showing the instrument on display at the museum.

      > I'm assuming that I'll start copying the shape exactly as shown in
      > the article. I did wonder if the slight assymetry might represent
      > warping over time--does that seem plausible?

      The asymmetry of the soundholes was just as bad when the instrument
      was first made as it is now. The decorations show no signs of
      warping, and the holes and decorations taken together as a whole
      don't look asymmetrical at all, and you only notice it when you see
      the sound holes without the decorations.

      Cheers,
      Tim
    • Anglo_Saxon_Lyres@yahoogroups.com
      Message 125 of 125 , Mar 30, 2013
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the Anglo_Saxon_Lyres
        group.

        File : /Dave the Flute/mistyflute.mp3
        Uploaded by : dave_the_flute <davemanley@...>
        Description : Had the Lyre a month... see what you think. 8)

        You can access this file at the URL:

        Regards,

        dave_the_flute <davemanley@...>