Re: [Anglo_Saxon_Lyres] Fretting a string with fingers

  • sca_bard@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 3, 2013

      Seeing as how backhand / in the air fretting looks so
      much older than violin/guitar style fingerboard fretting, we would
      assume that fretting was invented as a consequence of bowing?
      For what it's worth, the Stuttgart Psalter (c. 820-830 CE) shows a lot of solid-body strummed instruments with apparent fingerboard fretting going on:

      http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Guitar-like_plucked_instrument,_Carolingian_Psalter,_9th_century_manuscript,_108r_part,_Stuttgart_Psalter.jpg

      I don't think I've ever seen that instrument outside that psalter, though, so I don't know if there's any scholarship on it, and whether it's considered a real thing or the artist's imagining.  (Although it does show up *a lot.*  I have a link at home to a digitized copy of the Stuttgart online, if anyone wants to leaf through it looking for instruments.)

      (Random lyre image I hadn't seen before, from the Gertrude or Egbert Psalter, c, 980:
      http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/33/Egbert-Psalter%2C_fol._20v.jpg

      Dead ringer for the Cologne lyre, innit?  Not sure *what* the right hand is doing, or what the weighted cord? chain? falling from the right side of the lyre is.  Strings don't go where they ought to, although that could also be a consequence of the gold leafwork.  10th century is late for Germanic lyre, isn't it?  The illumination might have been done by copying another older exemplar, too.)

      Jamie
    • frode_kettilsson
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 3, 2013
        Hello all,
        I was following the video trail and came across this.  At about two minutes in there is a pretty good close up of the back of the fingernail fretting on a lyra, as clear as anything I've come across, anyway.  A little before that there was a brief but close look at the bow itself.
        Hopefully useful?
        Frode