Germanic Lyre Performance Roundtable at Pennsic

  • sca_bard@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2013
      Pennsic War is a yearly two-week event for the Society for Creative Anachronism, held at Cooper's Lake Campground in Slippery Rock, Pennsylvania.

      I will be hosting a two-hour roundtable on performing with Germanic lyres at 9am on Saturday, July 27, 2013 in Arts and Sciences tent #9.  (...okay, I'm lousy with scheduling.)
      This did not make it into the on-site booklet for Pennsic University, but will be viewable your smartphone (or tablet with data plan) of choice.  Bring your lyres and let's see how we play these beasts: tuning, temperament, fingering, repertoire all up for discussion, demonstration, and experimentation.

      I *could* make it The Teleri Show, but I don't claim any divine inspiration on the best way to play.  I would greatly, greatly *prefer* a roundtable format, where everyone shares their own experience.  I'll just try and herd the cats.

      *** If you are not an SCA member and are interested in coming... ***

      * It will be expensive. My class is free, but Pennsic is not.  A non-member will pay $150 at the door on the 27th.

      There is an entire roster of other classes planned for the two weeks of War.  If you think of this as a conference registration fee, it is a steal - but only if you have an interest in the offerings.  You can see them here:

      I see a class on medieval musical notation after the roundtable I think I'll be going to... Class quality does vary at Pennsic (instructors are not certified), but I have had far more excellent and good classes than mediocre ones, and possibly only one that was truly lackluster.

      There are also arts displays and performing arts exhibitions!

      * Don't try and show up at 8:30am on the 27th. There will be a substantial line for registration, and then you will have to park far far away and either walk back or take the bus.
      * Registration will be open 24 hrs a day Friday the 26th and Saturday the 27th.
      * You can camp or get a hotel in town.
      * You will need "a reasonable attempt at pre-17th century clothing."  You can probably do this with things in your normal closet; I will be happy to help.  Our authenticity minimum requirements are low, low, low.  Just try.
      * I will be so happy to show any new faces around, if you want the tour after the roundtable.  (The shopping is amazing, if you have any interest in European medieval history at all.)

      Still interested?  The Pennsic 42 official website is at:

      Pre-registration just closed (*really* lousy with scheduling...) but there is still a lot of information there.  Or email me off-list with any questions.

      - Jamie/Teleri