Re: [Anglo_Saxon_Lyres] Slipping zither pin help

  • craig_81@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 6, 2013
      This only works for moderately loose pins but the way to use superglue
      to fix a slipping zither (or piano) pin is to unwind and remove the
      string, remove the pin and paint the inside of the hole with two or
      three coats of superglue. Let each coat dry well. Then wind the pin
      back in, attaching the string at the appropriate time.

      When the pin is first out check for cracks near the hole - that would
      entail a more serious repair job in which case forget about the
      superglue and think about bushing the hole instead or finding a
      slightly larger pin.

      Using any substance which makes the wood itself swell only exacerbates
      the problem. This is the classic problem of wood and metal being
      forced into close proximity where the wood swells with water or oil or
      etc. and it pushes against the metal. That compresses the wood past
      its elastic limit and when it dries out again it stays compressed.
      Think of metal rings on a wooden flute - the wood always gets smaller
      underneath the rings over time. A tuning pin hole can only ever get
      biggger for the same reason. Putting EG in the hole would also make it
      difficult to glue in a bushing later on for a proper repair.

      Craig.