Slipping zither pin help

  • frode_kettilsson
    Message 1 of 4 , May 6, 2013
      Hello to all!
      A friend has a small harp with a slipping zither pin. I know in some cases a drop or two of CA glue in the hole swells the wood enough to tighten things up, but are there other remedies? Would peg dope have any effect on a metal pin in a wooden body? (I don't have the harp in front of me, so I'm not sure how bad the slipping really is.)
      Many thanks,
      Frode
    • AG

        Message 3 of 4 , May 6, 2013
          Thank you! I should have the harp soon, and it's good to know what some of my options might be!
          Frode

        • craig_81@rocketmail.com
          Message 4 of 4 , May 6, 2013
            This only works for moderately loose pins but the way to use superglue
            to fix a slipping zither (or piano) pin is to unwind and remove the
            string, remove the pin and paint the inside of the hole with two or
            three coats of superglue. Let each coat dry well. Then wind the pin
            back in, attaching the string at the appropriate time.

            When the pin is first out check for cracks near the hole - that would
            entail a more serious repair job in which case forget about the
            superglue and think about bushing the hole instead or finding a
            slightly larger pin.

            Using any substance which makes the wood itself swell only exacerbates
            the problem. This is the classic problem of wood and metal being
            forced into close proximity where the wood swells with water or oil or
            etc. and it pushes against the metal. That compresses the wood past
            its elastic limit and when it dries out again it stays compressed.
            Think of metal rings on a wooden flute - the wood always gets smaller
            underneath the rings over time. A tuning pin hole can only ever get
            biggger for the same reason. Putting EG in the hole would also make it
            difficult to glue in a bushing later on for a proper repair.

            Craig.