Update

  • Douglas
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3 7:47 PM
      Hi all. I finally got a lyre, from Mike at The Haunted Wood.
      It's fun to play with, and I am enjoying learning the technique for playing.

      It's got nylon strings and the length of the strings is rather short, I'm having trouble getting good flagolet tones for traditional tuning. I'm thinking gut strings would do this better. I'm ordering some synthetic gut from Aquila.

      The tuning pegs are steel, and I need to make it more authentic. So what I will do is take out the pegs and drill holes to accept wooden pegs. Old friend of mind recommended willow for the pegs, since they seem to have built-in stiction.

      Douglas
    • michaeljking2007
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3 9:04 PM
        Hello Douglas,
        What scale length and what tuning are you trying to use?

        Michael

        --- In Anglo_Saxon_Lyres@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas" <dsunlin@...> wrote:

        > Hi all. I finally got a lyre, from Mike at The Haunted Wood.
        > It's fun to play with, and I am enjoying learning the technique for playing.
        >
        > It's got nylon strings and the length of the strings is rather short, I'm having trouble getting good flagolet tones for traditional tuning. I'm thinking gut strings would do this better. I'm ordering some synthetic gut from Aquila.
        >
        > The tuning pegs are steel, and I need to make it more authentic. So what I will do is take out the pegs and drill holes to accept wooden pegs. Old friend of mind recommended willow for the pegs, since they seem to have built-in stiction.
        >
        > Douglas

      • LM

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4 11:56 AM
            If you go down the violin peg route have a look at Peg Head tuneing heads. They look like traditional violin pegs but are in fact planar geared 4:1 machine heads. They get used a lot on Hurdy Gurdies. this link is to a full description of them. http://www.hurdy-gurdy.org.uk/pegheds.html

            --- In Anglo_Saxon_Lyres@yahoogroups.com, LM <lavransrm@...> wrote:

            > In a pinch, violin pegs work very well on a lyre; even better if you have a
            > tapered reamer.
          • Douglas
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 6 11:52 PM
              Hi! Scale length? I'm tuning it to the scale from Hucbald, or C-D-E-F-G-A. I want to tune it to fifths, going with just intonation.

              I like the design of the Trossingen lyre's pegs. Using violin pegs wouldn't look very authentic for the Viking Age.

              Thanks!

              -Douglas

              --- In Anglo_Saxon_Lyres@yahoogroups.com, "michaeljking2007" <michaeljking2007@...> wrote:

              > Hello Douglas,
              > What scale length and what tuning are you trying to use?
              >
              > Michael
              >

              > --- In Anglo_Saxon_Lyres@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas" <dsunlin@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi all. I finally got a lyre, from Mike at The Haunted Wood.
              > > It's fun to play with, and I am enjoying learning the technique for playing.
              > >
              > > It's got nylon strings and the length of the strings is rather short, I'm having trouble getting good flagolet tones for traditional tuning. I'm thinking gut strings would do this better. I'm ordering some synthetic gut from Aquila.
              > >
              > > The tuning pegs are steel, and I need to make it more authentic. So what I will do is take out the pegs and drill holes to accept wooden pegs. Old friend of mind recommended willow for the pegs, since they seem to have built-in stiction.
              > >
              > > Douglas

            • michael king
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 7 3:49 AM
                What is the length of the string from peg to bridge?

                Hi! Scale length? I'm tuning it to the scale from Hucbald, or C-D-E-F-G-A. I want to tune it to fifths, going with just intonation.

                I like the design of the Trossingen lyre's pegs. Using violin pegs wouldn't look very authentic for the Viking Age.

                Thanks!

                -Douglas

                --- In Anglo_Saxon_Lyres@yahoogroups.com, "michaeljking2007" <michaeljking2007@...> wrote:

                > Hello Douglas,
                > What scale length and what tuning are you trying to use?
                >
                > Michael
                >

                > --- In Anglo_Saxon_Lyres@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas" <dsunlin@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi all. I finally got a lyre, from Mike at The Haunted Wood.
                > > It's fun to play with, and I am enjoying learning the technique for playing.
                > >
                > > It's got nylon strings and the length of the strings is rather short, I'm having trouble getting good flagolet tones for traditional tuning. I'm thinking gut strings would do this better. I'm ordering some synthetic gut from Aquila.
                > >
                > > The tuning pegs are steel, and I need to make it more authentic. So what I will do is take out the pegs and drill holes to accept wooden pegs. Old friend of mind recommended willow for the pegs, since they seem to have built-in stiction.
                > >
                > > Douglas

              • Douglas
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 18 11:21 PM
                  It's about a foot, Michael.

                  BTW, I just got the new pseudo gut strings. They sound nice, might be able to get better harmonics.

                  -Douglas

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 19 12:01 AM
                    Douglas,
                    a foot is quite short.
                    The cologne Lyre is the shortest string lyre that I make and it has a scale length of 14",
                    (I am making a batch these later this year,  with aquila strings I saved from my other lyres!)
                     I would tune that to C D E F GA, C diatonic too.  So if you are not getting the tone you want experiment a little with the strings or the pitch,  might need to go a semitone or whole tone higher ;-)

                    Best wishes

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 25 9:40 PM
                      Thanks, Michael! I think the lyre is a somewhat small for playing purposes; it doesn't have the stability in my hands that a slightly larger lyre would I think.

                      The new pseudo gut strings show signs of more harmonic sensitivity, and I will try other pitches. Early days!