Re: [Anglo_Saxon_Lyres] Re: string spacing ..etc!

  • irrotational@activ8.net.au
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2013
      Lovely!

      Craig.

      Quoting Mark <markallanbarnes@...>:

      > --- In Anglo_Saxon_Lyres@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johnedallas@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> I wonder what would have happened if the northern European lyre had
      >> not fallen into disuse about a millennium ago, but was still being
      >> played today as pat of a living tradition.
      >
      > Here's six string lyre block and strum modern day Ethiopian style.
      > The instrument is essentially the same as the Anglo Saxon 6 string
      > lyre, but having moved with the times in a living tradition:
      >
      > http://youtu.be/sTh2Ai0o3hM

    • gefinn_othni
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 8
        my harp(lyre) originally started out with tuning machines and steel strings. i made it before the days of the internet and based it off medieval art. i hadn't seen any replicas and, to  my knowledge at the time, no one was really into them. i had religious reasons. anyhow, mine got started from the remains of a busted guitar cannibalized. it had thin wood and the tuners came with it. i only recently switched to violin tuning pegs and nylgut strings.