Re: Anglo Saxon Lyres made in Pakistan??

  • o2btuvan
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 23 4:21 AM
      "michaeljking2007" <michaeljking2007@...> wrote:

      > Just something I found very interesting,
      > I found a rosewood lyre on ebay that is the standard Anglo SAxon Lyre shape for just £99,.......

      *************************

      Instrument makers in Pakistan have been making lyres of different sorts for quite a while but this is the first time we've seen an Anglo-Saxon lyre. Here's a webpage that shows four types of lyre, all of them made in Pakistan (and all of them apparently "out of stock").

      http://www.worldmusicalinstruments.com/c-128-harp-lyre-harp.aspx

      I don't want to seem too negative about this because I think it's great that a low cost Saxon lyre is being offered at all, but I know people who have bought Celtic harps made in Pakistan and have regretted it. There are all sorts of blogs and forums on the internet where people recount their tales of woe after having bought harps from Pakistan. They look really beautiful and are very reasonably priced, but they're junk. They are usually made by furniture manufacturers, not luthiers.

      Newbies who buy a cheap instrument with the intention of investing in a more expensive, higher quality one later on if they are still as committed as they were when they started out, are making a mistake. The disappointment they go through with an inferior instrument can be so frustrating that they end up losing interest altogether. I've seen that happen many times.

      CAVEAT EMPTOR
    • o2btuvan
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 23 4:22 AM
        "michaeljking2007" <michaeljking2007@...> wrote:

        > Just something I found very interesting,
        > I found a rosewood lyre on ebay that is the standard Anglo SAxon Lyre shape for just £99,.......

        *************************

        Instrument makers in Pakistan have been making lyres of different sorts for quite a while but this is the first time we've seen an Anglo-Saxon lyre. Here's a webpage that shows four types of lyre, all of them made in Pakistan (and all of them apparently "out of stock").

        http://www.worldmusicalinstruments.com/c-128-harp-lyre-harp.aspx

        I don't want to seem too negative about this because I think it's great that a low cost Saxon lyre is being offered at all, but I know people who have bought Celtic harps made in Pakistan and have regretted it. There are all sorts of blogs and forums on the internet where people recount their tales of woe after having bought harps from Pakistan. They look really beautiful and are very reasonably priced, but they're junk. They are usually made by furniture manufacturers, not luthiers.

        Newbies who buy a cheap instrument with the intention of investing in a more expensive, higher quality one later on if they are still as committed as they were when they started out, are making a mistake. The disappointment they go through with an inferior instrument can be so frustrating that they end up losing interest altogether. I've seen that happen many times.

        CAVEAT EMPTOR
      • Tim
        Message 3 of 7 , May 29, 2012
          --- In Anglo_Saxon_Lyres@yahoogroups.com, "o2btuvan" <bernardroy@...> wrote:

          Hi,

          Has anyone bought one of these? Does anyone have any feedback about their quality? What are the usual problems associated with pakistani-made instruments?

          Cheers,
          Tim

        • sca_bard@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 7 , May 29, 2012
            The Pakistani Harp-Shaped Decorator Objects suffer mostly from really poor quality control.  (The harps are the only Paki instruments I have any experience with.  Can't speak for their other exports.)  I know folks who have purchased one and found it a usable instrument.  I have heard (from my harp teacher) of students who bought one and then gave up the instrument in tears, because it would simply not hold a tune - pegs slipping, etc.

            Some folks warn of the temperature/humidity differences between Pakistan and (insert Western European/North American country here); I would think that with some time and the right care, the instrument could be acclimatized, but maybe folks who aren't expecting to have to do that end up with wood-warping problems?

            The Paki harps I have heard usually sound... okay.  A bit thin and plinky, often, but they still sound like harps.

            Most folk harpers I know warn newcomers away from them, just because of the risk of getting a bad one.  Nothing quite as frustrating as being a new player and being convinced that you're awful, when it's really your instrument sabotaging you.  But buying one from a personally trusted source who can vouch for its playability, even if it doesn't have a golden tone, *might* not be a bad call for a beginner on a budget, or for someone looking for a cheapie instrument they can take camping and not freak out if it gets rained on.  I think I would still advise the saving of pennies until one can purchase the instrument one *really* wants, though.

            - Jamie

            Message 5 of 7 , May 29, 2012
              --- In Anglo_Saxon_Lyres@yahoogroups.com, "sca_bard@..." <sca_bard@...> wrote:

              Thanks Jamie,

              The warning about "pegs slipping" is exactly the kind of thing that I was worried about.

              Your comment about "someone looking for a cheapie instrument they can take camping and not freak out if it gets rained on" is _EXACTLY_ the reason I was considering buying one. Hmmmm. I can't put my expensive "Royal lyre" in that kind of jeopardy. But - sorry to say - the EU economic woes are my gain, since my country never even went into recession. So I'm in a unique position to buy just about anything I want from Europe at bargain basement prices... as long as it's not a complete lemon!!

              Cheers,
              Tim

              > The Pakistani Harp-Shaped Decorator Objects suffer mostly from really poor quality control.  (The harps are the only Paki instruments I have any experience with.  Can't speak for their other exports.)  I know folks who have purchased one and found it a usable instrument.  I have heard (from my harp teacher) of students who bought one and then gave up the instrument in tears, because it would simply not hold a tune - pegs slipping, etc.
              >
              > Some folks warn of the temperature/humidity differences between Pakistan and (insert Western European/North American country here); I would think that with some time and the right care, the instrument could be acclimatized, but maybe folks who aren't expecting to have to do that end up with wood-warping problems?
              >
              > The Paki harps I have heard usually sound... okay.  A bit thin and plinky, often, but they still sound like harps.
              >

              > Most folk harpers I know warn newcomers away from them, just because of the risk of getting a bad one.  Nothing quite as frustrating as being a new player and being convinced that you're awful, when it's really your instrument sabotaging you.  But buying one from a personally trusted source who can vouch for its playability, even if it doesn't have a golden tone, *might* not be a bad call for a beginner on a budget, or for someone looking for a cheapie instrument they can take camping and not freak out if it gets rained on.  I think I would still advise the saving of pennies until one can purchase the instrument one *really* wants, though.
              >
              > - Jamie
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Brian Chabot
              Message 6 of 7 , May 29, 2012
                On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Tim <vikingtimbo650@...> wrote:

                > Your comment about "someone looking for a cheapie instrument they can take camping and not freak out if it gets rained on" is _EXACTLY_ the reason I was considering buying one. Hmmmm. I can't put my expensive "Royal lyre" in that kind of jeopardy.

                I got my lyre from Orphic Airs.

                It's a student model based on the Sutton Hoo design and I'm very happy
                with how tough it is. The price is close to the one mentioned from
                eBay.

                http://www.orphicairs.com/HARPS.HTM

                I do take mine camping. It's been exposed to rough packing and a
                couple instances of morning dew and held up wonderfully. The worst
                that has happened is I've had to carve a new bridge a couple times.

                Brian