Re: Lyre from Skye

  • o2btuvan
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 1, 2012
      Charles Anderson <charlesanderson@...> wrote:

      > On 30/03/2012 9:37 PM, o2btuvan wrote:
      > > The ancient Celts were highly skilled metal workers, and they did know how to draw bronze, so making metal strings for their instruments would not have been difficult from the technical point of view. The question is, would it have been desirable from the artistic point of view?
      >
      > You ever drawn bronze into a wire, and have you ever tried to anneal
      > that wire?
      >
      > I can assure you it's a pain in the rump, and that's using modern equipment.....

      ***********************

      I always keep a stock of bronze strings on hand, but I get them from India. Bronze has a special sound to it....I'm not quite sure why. Any thoughts on that? No, I have never tried making them myself and wouldn't even know where to begin.

      I do know how to make a pretty good silk string but that's a whole 'nuther thang. When I started my silk string adventure, I thought it was going to be pretty simple and straightforward. About 100 failed strings, several months, and $1000.00 later, I actually got it right!

      This weekend, I completed a seven string electroacoustic Saxon lyre. I haven't the slightest idea what I am going to do with it but I was thinking of making silk strings for it. At the moment, it is strung with fluorocarbon.

      They say that if you play your lyre under water and it has fluorocarbon strings, they will be invisible to passing fish.
    • Tim
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 3, 2012
        --- In Anglo_Saxon_Lyres@yahoogroups.com, "o2btuvan" <bernardroy@...> wrote:

        Hi Bernard,

        > They say that if you play your lyre under water and it has fluorocarbon strings, they will be invisible to passing fish.

        Yeah the fish are really confused about what's going on, but very happy with the ambience :-)

        Cheers,
        Tim
      • Tim
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 8, 2012
          Hi,

          I just came across another short article about the lyre bridge found on the Isle of Skye, and there's a nice video with Prof. Graeme lawson. Just scroll down a little bit to see the article:

          http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/category/treasures

          Cheers,
          Tim