Re: Prittlewell file

  • michaeljking2007
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 1, 2011
      Hello Craig,

      I have also done what you have done, scaled up the pictures, used other lyres(snape especially) to work things out. My reconstruction left out the mounts as I was waiting to have them made.... and waiting.....

      As you may know the Lyre was featured in an episode of Time team: "king of Bling" We got a glimpses of the repairs to the body of the instrument on the xray and some idea of what it might be like. Since then the block has been scanned and data extracted.. I have emailed the Museum for an update today but I fear the wheels of academia run a bit slower than us Lyre makers would like. They will not release information until the whole report is published.

      Regards

      Michael J King

      --- In Anglo_Saxon_Lyres@yahoogroups.com, Craig Fischer <irrotational@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >

      > I'm new to this list and having a lot of fun reading through all of
      > the older posts and the files and etc. I have made one copy of the
      > Trossingen lyre from the various information available although it is
      > still more of a work in progress than a definite success.
      >
      > I've just uploaded a file 'prittlewell.pdf' to the files section - in
      > the absence of any further news of the Prittlewell lyre I have gone
      > out on a speculative limb and by photoshopping and squinting at the
      > two images available I have sketched out nominal dimensions and a
      > possible outline.
      >
      > Has anyone seen an x-ray of the whole thing yet?
      >

      > Craig.

    • LM
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2011
        I printed out the plans for the Trossingen, and have nearly finished it, sans decorative carving. I'll post up the results soon.

        Larry M

      • pbutler@camden.rutgers.edu
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 1, 2011
          > I have emailed the Museum for an update today but I fear the wheels
          > of academia run a bit slower than us Lyre makers would like. They
          > will not release information until the whole report is published.
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > Michael J King

          As a quick side-note to that, from the experience of my wife (who is
          an ancient historian and occasional archaeologist) no information,
          including even photographs or inscription information, is usually
          released until the individuals working on the project have published
          their findings. Since publication is their professional currency, so
          to speak, getting "trumped" on information is a big deal, even on
          something as unofficial as our little list group, so it is very
          carefully guarded. This has caused some problems. There are some
          archaeologists that will deliberately sit on information for years to
          keep others from disproving something they previously published, for
          example, but it is the way of things. Usually though they try to get
          out the most complete information with as few errors as possible as
          soon as they can.

          Sincerely,
          Paul Butler
          pbutler@...