How to make a bow

  • nnaeve
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1 11:30 AM
      Fellow lyre players, I'm looking for a little help on making a bow.

      I've been using a violin bow on my jouhikko, (which was made by a friend and actually is strung with weed cutter wire - sounds raw and "gutty") and I feel like I'm working really hard to get a sound, and i have a shoulder injury I'm trying to keep in check.

      I figure it's time to make a bow that's really suited to the instrument.

      I have some young maples I plan to cut down, anyway, on my property. Can anyone point me to the time of year, technique, tools needed, dimension, any more details which may help me make my first bow? I think maple is a good choice, right?

      Thanks,

      Niki
    • LM

      Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1 3:11 PM
        Thank you so much for finding this! I hadn't thought of cutting it out - I thought I'd have to get a sapling and bend it.

        So tell me about this "frog" - it looks fancy! Its purpose? I assume you store the bow with it removed to take tension off strings, then put it in when playing?