Not Too Spaced Out?

  • duquesne97217
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1 12:48 AM
      Hi, Folks;

      I am new here, however I have seen that at some point my favorite
      topic did turn up here: the Vulcan harp/lyre.

      Somebody asked about it once but I don't know what came of his
      intrest in it. I started on making one, going about it in all the
      wrong and probably least productive ways. I might have done better,
      but it's a lot easier to get information on how to make nuclear
      weapons than it is to find 411 on the Vulcan harp (or Ky'athyra
      in the native Vulan).

      Would anyone here have any ideas, tips, or suggestions for making a instrument that I hope would be light in weight, yet able to handle 19 [nylon] strings. I know there is an "Instructable" for an acoustic
      version of the lyre, but I hope to make something out of a fancier
      wood than plywood. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. :-)

      Ron
    • michael king
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1 1:31 AM
        Hello Ron,
        The Vulcan Lyre/harp seems to be an amalgamation of a Finnish Kantele and and folk lyre with some electrical components,   The path to making these seems well trodden and the internet rich in Iconography and data with not too much excavation into the google archives!
        There seem to be plans available
        http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/vulcan-harp-construction-plans.php

        On youtube several replicas
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1QuxEEQNZ0
        and original props
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S5VYmc8qhg

        It seems doable,  electrics aside...Its basically a kantele/zither,  use zither pins and you can string it with wire or nylon.

        maybe other members on the forum have made one at some point,

        Take care

        Michael J king

        Live long and prosper!

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1 5:10 AM
          --- In Anglo_Saxon_Lyres@yahoogroups.com, michael king <michaeljking2007@...> wrote:

          Hi Ron and Michael,

          I don't know how popular the Sci-fi series Farscape was overseas, but one episode featured a futuristic stringed instrument called a shilquin, played by the Luxon Ka D'Argo:

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlP532ayG30

          And not to forget the "Lyre électrique" we discussed some time ago!

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef1qwaiFeek

          Cheers,
          Tim

          > Hello Ron,
          > The Vulcan Lyre/harp seems to be an amalgamation of a Finnish Kantele and and folk lyre with some electrical components,   The path to making these seems well trodden and the internet rich in Iconography and data with not too much excavation into the google archives!
          > There seem to be plans available
          > http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/vulcan-harp-construction-plans.php
          >
          > On youtube several replicas
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1QuxEEQNZ0
          > and original props
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S5VYmc8qhg
          >
          > It seems doable,  electrics aside...Its basically a kantele/zither,  use zither pins and you can string it with wire or nylon.
          >
          > maybe other members on the forum have made one at some point,
          >
          > Take care
          >
          > Michael J king

        • duquesne97217
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1 6:15 PM
            I almost got one finished, but the neck was too big for only
            19 strings. It is made out of walnut and it's still rather heavy
            for a poor human like me.

            I was hoping to use a "light" wood like poplar but there are folks who say that poplar can't hold up to the strain of so many strings. Any traditional lyres to use use the ever popular poplar? :-)

            Ron

            --- In Anglo_Saxon_Lyres@yahoogroups.com, michael king <michaeljking2007@...> wrote:

            > Hello Ron,
            > The Vulcan Lyre/harp seems to be an amalgamation of a Finnish Kantele and and folk lyre with some electrical components,   The path to making these seems well trodden and the internet rich in Iconography and data with not too much excavation into the google archives!
            > There seem to be plans available
            > http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/vulcan-harp-construction-plans.php
            >
            > On youtube several replicas
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1QuxEEQNZ0
            > and original props
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S5VYmc8qhg
            >
            > It seems doable,  electrics aside...Its basically a kantele/zither,  use zither pins and you can string it with wire or nylon.
            >
            > maybe other members on the forum have made one at some point,
            >
            > Take care
            >
            > Michael J king
            >
            > Live long and prosper!

          • michael king
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1 11:43 PM
              Hello Ron,
              I have made kanteles out of poplar (true poplar) as it is a fantastic resonant wood,  my 12 strings I have on Youtube for example.   However it needs some maple inserts for the pegs as it will not hold the zither pins well,   it would be fine with wooden pegs but tuning will be more difficult.   Poplar would work fine for a standard anglo saxon lyre with wooden pegs,  Willow a very similar sounding timber is used on the Irish Lyre with metal strings.....

              Best wishes

              Michael J King