Kinnor Lyre

  • Fabio200--w/ pic
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2010
      Greetings

      I have made a few lyres in the past and wanted to make a Kinnor Lyre(harp... I have been using 3G,2B,2E classic nylon guitar strings for my lyres.. and love the sound..

      Question: if I build a 10 string lyre that would be tuned in
      C,D,E,F,G,A,B,HighC,HighD,HighE .. what would be a good 10 strings to use? should I use nylon guitar, or true harp strings? if so which ones?
    • LM

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2010
          ahh thanks, so does anyone know where I can get some plans for this Kinnor lyre(harp)? been searching web, sure they are out there somewhere?
          --- In Anglo_Saxon_Lyres@yahoogroups.com, LM <lavransrm@...> wrote:

          > Here's one solution. If you contact my good friend and string guy Chris
          > Henriksen at <Boston Catlines.com>, he can help. He just needs the vibrating
          > length and the note desired, and he can put together a set of nylgut ( or
          > real gut, or nylon) strings for you.
          >
          > email him and tell him that Larry sent you.
          >
          > Larry
          >
          > On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 11:27 PM, Fabio200--w/ pic <chrysagon200@...>wrote:
          >

          > > Greetings
          > >
          > > I have made a few lyres in the past and wanted to make a Kinnor
          > > Lyre(harp... I have been using 3G,2B,2E classic nylon guitar strings for my
          > > lyres.. and love the sound..
          > >
          > > Question: if I build a 10 string lyre that would be tuned in
          > > C,D,E,F,G,A,B,HighC,HighD,HighE .. what would be a good 10 strings to use?
          > > should I use nylon guitar, or true harp strings? if so which ones?

        • Tim
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2010
            --- In Anglo_Saxon_Lyres@yahoogroups.com, "Fabio200--w/ pic" <chrysagon200@...> wrote:

            Hi,

            > so does anyone know where I can get some plans for this Kinnor lyre(harp)? been searching web, sure they are out there somewhere?

            I'd say your best bet might be to contanct Michael Levy. You can contact him via his fantastic website:

            http://ancientlyre.com/?section=historical_details

            Cheers,
            Tim