Re: interesting links

  • vikingtimbo
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2010
      --- In Anglo_Saxon_Lyres@yahoogroups.com, "wernerbuchin" <wernerbuchin@...> wrote:

      Hi Werner,

      Electric krars seem to be getting popular in Ethiopia and Eritrea. I think it's great that people can modernise without losing their traditions. I suppose they're in less danger than many non-Western cultures since they've already been christian for almost two thousand years - so less missionary nutcases with "GodPods" or whatever for them to worry about! Here's another electric krar:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-ZoA7lLDkY

      They also seem to be making a lot of mass produced accoustic krars too. I've seen a photo somewhere of the inside of an Ethiopian shop that looked like a Western guitar shop, except it was krars that were covering the walls. This is the kind of krar mean:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_ISSYOTHBk&feature=related

      I also just found this series of krar turorials, which I haven't had a chance to watch yet:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i35Lb6jaN8&feature=response_watch

      Finally, there are two Anglo-Saxon lyre videos that have only just appeared. Firstly this one:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NFI4lvfa1g

      In this second one which I particularly like, a reenactor is reciting the Anglo-Saxon poem Deor.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExLg0ngCRLE

      The poem is basically a list of well known situations from Germanic legend which caused people to lament, and the poet explains at the end that his poem is about the fact that he had been the professional poet at the court of a great warlord (entertaining his warband and recording their glorious deeds on the battle field) but had just lost this job to another scop that the lord thought was better. So I suppose it's a kind of "barbarian blues". Here's a Modern English translation of the poem:

      http://www.tha-engliscan-gesithas.org.uk/readings/deor_me.html

      Cheers,
      Tim