Re: Ethiopian lyre

  • vikingtimbo
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2009
      Hi,

      I came across another concert that might be of interest (at least to people living around California in the US:

      "Sunday, January 31, 2010, 7:00 PM, Music Sources, 1000 The Alameda (at Marin), Berkeley, CA, $20, $15

      Music Sources presents:

      Tim Rayborn gives a candle-light concert of poetry and music from the northern European story-telling traditions. Accompanying himself with harps and lyres, he will perform pieces and excerpts from early medieval works, including: the Welsh Llyfyr Taliesin, the Norman Chanson de Roland, the early Bavarian Hildebrandslied, the Anglo-Saxon Deor, as well as instrumental music from Scandinavian traditions."

      Cheers,
      Tim

      > Hi Jennifer,
      >

      > Alemu Aga's quite a well known begena player, and you can watch Youtube videos of him playing. The begena has a very haunting sound.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Tim
      >

      > > Not exactly an Anglo-Saxon lyre, but an Ethiopian lyre, a beganna, dating back hundreds of years, is being played by Alemu Aga, on Wed 30 September, 7..30pm, at St Luke's church, London. Tickets from the Barbican Centre.
      > > Kind regards
      > > Jennifer Sturdy

    • Tim
      Message 2 of 5 , May 8, 2012
        Hi,

        Sorry if I've posted this link before (maybe a long time ago, I can't remember). But I think it really shows how much fun a lyre can be, especially as an accompaniment to playful vocals. The song is a tribute to Ethiopia's capital city, with images in the background contrasting the city with the simple villages that most Ethiopians are born in.

        I think we'd all love to be able to call this old codger our grandpa!

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uk8-rqM3UA&feature=related

        Cheers,
        Tim