Greetings from Arlington, Virginia, USA

  • matthewvanitas
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 10, 2009
      Hello, just joined the group this week, when my lyre arrived from Albert atSilvershell Instruments. In the immediate term I was motivated to buy by Michael King's YouTube videos, especially the block-and-strum method which just fascinated me.

      In the longer term, I was really struck by the lyre as a teenager when I went to see a solo recitation of Beowulf in Old English accompanied with the lyre, similar to the clips also on YouTube.

      My interest is maybe a bit different from the majority here, since I'm (somewhat) less interested in historically-informed performance and more inclined towards the lyre as a living instrument, though I certainly think both angles play a role with revived instruments. Personally, it took me less than an hour to start messing with lyre tunings, trying out a blues heptonic, etc. So I'm definitely interested in learning from historical method and applying it to modern performance.

      In a similar way, I have a (someday) project in mind of memorising more 1900-1930 poetry and attempting some performances of those poems while accompanying myself on the lyre, so depending on how much progress I make I may be doing those at some local open-mike nights later this year.

      Just wanted to check in to say hello, and I'll be digging through the archives to see all the possible block-strum chord permutations, technique tips, etc.

      Just glad to be here playing the lyre.
    • niki naeve
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 10, 2009
        Re: [Anglo_Saxon_Lyres] Greetings from Arlington, Virginia
        Matthew,

        Welcome, and have fun weaving all sorts of different times and tunes into your new instrument!

        I have friends in Arlington - let me know when you're up for open mike on the lyre!

        Niki