trossingen copy

  • grgthomason
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2009
      Hello All,

      I am in the finishing phases of a Trossingen copy (not exact mind you)
      and was curious as to what you guys use for strings and what "key" are you shooting for? Should it be a bass, mid or treble sound overall? Sorry if these have already benn addressed. Thanks.

      Greg
    • pbutler@camden.rutgers.edu
      Message 2 of 2 , May 6, 2009
        They have ;), but no matter. Strings can be natural gut (most
        authentic and best sounding but expensive and temperamental), nylgut
        or other synthetic/nylon (classical guitar or lute strings), or wire
        (folk guitar strings down to piano wire depending on level of expense
        and tension you want). Gut is usually very low tension (about 4-7kg
        per string), while piano wire can be very high (as much as 25kg per
        string), so some structural consideration must be made (if you have a
        lightly constructed instrument, piano wire will pull it apart). Gut
        and nylon have a warmer tone, more mellow and potentially softer.
        Wire has a brighter tone, sharper and louder.

        Key would be partially dependent on use. If you plan on singing with
        it, then your voice range will need to be considered. For most male
        voices (upper baritone, low tenor), low string as G works. For higher
        voices, low strings as C or D would work (a D low string would either
        be a very high tenor or a solid bass). Pitch range would be again
        somewhat dependent on the size of the instrument and the string
        material used. Assuming an instrument around 70-100cm total length,
        and strung in gut, I'd use low note as a G below middle C (the lowest
        string on a standard violin). A much smaller instrument strung in
        piano wire would probably be an octave above that. For the lower
        octave, you'd need a very long instrument, in the 120-150cm range,
        otherwise the strings would be so thick comparable to their length as
        to thud more than sound.

        Anyway, hope that helps.

        PCB

        > Hello All,
        >
        > I am in the finishing phases of a Trossingen copy (not exact mind you)
        > and was curious as to what you guys use for strings and what "key"
        > are you shooting for? Should it be a bass, mid or treble sound
        > overall? Sorry if these have already benn addressed. Thanks.
        >
        > Greg

        Patience is a virtue, but for luthiers it's the difference between success and
        firewood.