New York Lyre players?

  • michaeljking2007
    Message 1 of 47 , Jan 1, 2009
      Hello everyone,
      Happy new year!

      I have had an email from someone involved in a production of Beowulf
      in New York, looking for players who might be interested in some kind
      of involvement, or help with playing. Please send me a private email
      if you want the contact email address,

      Best wishes

      Michael J King
      www.michaelking.com
    • Tim Caldwell
      Message 47 of 47 , Jan 29, 2009
        --- In Anglo_Saxon_Lyres@yahoogroups.com, "sca_bard@..."
        <sca_bard@...> wrote:

        Hi Jamie,

        > I never considered the direction of the "twist" on the wrist
        strap! I'm not sure how it would really matter, but I may try it
        the other way around just to see.

        Yep, like you I never gave it much thought, so now I'm going to try
        your way for a while just to see if it makes a difference.

        > I'll twiddle my thumb back and forth between the first and second
        strings, but I've never tried to damp both at once. I can see where
        that would be useful, though - I don't *always* want the drone on.
        I'll have to see if my thumb is big enough!

        Originally, I used to damp the first and second strings
        simultaneously by arching my thumb backwards, which worked fine with
        gut strings. But when I changed to nylon strings I found that the
        first string made a buzzing sound with the edge of my thumbnail
        touching it. So I changed my technique and now damp the two strings
        together by curling my thumb forewards instead. I think this works
        better anyway since it also makes it easier to pluck the second
        string in the midst of strumming. But I don't think the size of your
        thumb will be a problem for you.

        Cheers,
        Tim