String gage for 6 string lyre

  • Doug Saball
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2008
      Okay, I know this has been talked about, but I was unable to find what
      I am looking for in the messages.

      I am trying to finish the German rote/lyre kit I have (Same as what
      Mathius7 posted in the photo files). But I am not sure what gage wire
      to use. I think the guy that made Mathius' lyre just used some steel
      guitar strings.

      Thanks for the advice.

      Doug in Maine
    • michaeljking2007
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 6, 2008
        Hello Doug,
        There are a number of factors to consider, scale length for one but
        for me the question to ask first is what is your lyre made from? As
        the soundboard has to take the pressure of the bridge under the
        strings, The Germanic Lyres are by their very design instruments that
        can only take low tension strings, that wide soundboard in maple-
        unsupported, A Horsehair strung lyre has very little pressure on the
        thin soundboard, gut more so, but even here most of us use low tension
        gut strings rather than the heavy tensioned twisted/treated gut strings.

        If you are wanting to use steel piano wire/guitar this is really only
        an option if you have a plywood lyre, or a lyre with bracing fitted
        (not authentic maybe but would work)

        Maybe brass or iron strings could be considered?

        I am sure there are some players with metal strung lyres here who can
        further advise.

        best wishes

        michael

        --- In Anglo_Saxon_Lyres@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Saball"
        <dr_douglittle@...> wrote:

        > Okay, I know this has been talked about, but I was unable to find what
        > I am looking for in the messages.
        >
        > I am trying to finish the German rote/lyre kit I have (Same as what
        > Mathius7 posted in the photo files). But I am not sure what gage wire
        > to use. I think the guy that made Mathius' lyre just used some steel
        > guitar strings.
        >
        > Thanks for the advice.
        >
        > Doug in Maine

      • Doug Saball
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 11, 2008
          Hi Michael,

          I was told that the lyre was from a German style, and called a rote
          because it has wire strings (yes my ignorance is showing here). As I
          mentioned a picture of a finished one is in the photo files by
          Mathius7.

          It has been laser cut & routed out of ¾ inch maple, with ¼ inch
          spruce plywood sound board. The tail, piece as well as the bridge,
          are from the plywood as well.

          Zither tuning pegs were used.

          So since I have access to piano wire & guitar strings, I was
          wondering what gauges to use.

          Bottom line I can get in touch with the person who made the kit and
          ask what brand gauge guitar strings he used.

          Personally, I would rather make more historically correct lyres,
          rotes, etc. so my talks at the local events would be accurate.
          Eventually I hope to get some shop tools to make stuff again.

          Thanks for the advice.

          Doug

          --- In Anglo_Saxon_Lyres@yahoogroups.com, "michaeljking2007"
          <michaeljking2007@...> wrote:

          > Hello Doug,
          > There are a number of factors to consider, scale length for one but
          > for me the question to ask first is what is your lyre made from? As
          > the soundboard has to take the pressure of the bridge under the
          > strings, The Germanic Lyres are by their very design instruments
          that
          > can only take low tension strings, that wide soundboard in maple-
          > unsupported, A Horsehair strung lyre has very little pressure on
          the
          > thin soundboard, gut more so, but even here most of us use low
          tension
          > gut strings rather than the heavy tensioned twisted/treated gut
          strings.

          > If you are wanting to use steel piano wire/guitar this is really
          only
          > an option if you have a plywood lyre, or a lyre with bracing fitted
          > (not authentic maybe but would work)
          >
          > Maybe brass or iron strings could be considered?
          >
          > I am sure there are some players with metal strung lyres here who
          can
          > further advise.
          >
          > best wishes
          >
          > michael
          >

          > --- In Anglo_Saxon_Lyres@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Saball"
          > <dr_douglittle@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Okay, I know this has been talked about, but I was unable to find
          what
          > > I am looking for in the messages.
          > >
          > > I am trying to finish the German rote/lyre kit I have (Same as
          what
          > > Mathius7 posted in the photo files). But I am not sure what gage
          wire
          > > to use. I think the guy that made Mathius' lyre just used some
          steel
          > > guitar strings.
          > >
          > > Thanks for the advice.
          > >
          > > Doug in Maine

        • aranwillem
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 12, 2008
            Howdy Doug,

            I'm using steel guitar strings in the following gauges on one of my lyres. These are just
            single strings purchased from a local shop... can't remember the brand

            011, 013, 015, 017, 020, 024, 026

            the lyre has a Kermodie Spruce top and is very lightly braced.

            Hope that helps!

            Aran

          • aranwillem
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 12, 2008
              oh, btw this is a 7-string lyre tuned diatonically

              -Aran

              --- In Anglo_Saxon_Lyres@yahoogroups.com, "aranwillem" <alwayslaughing@...> wrote:

              > Howdy Doug,
              >
              > I'm using steel guitar strings in the following gauges on one of my lyres. These are just
              > single strings purchased from a local shop... can't remember the brand
              >
              > 011, 013, 015, 017, 020, 024, 026
              >
              > the lyre has a Kermodie Spruce top and is very lightly braced.
              >
              > Hope that helps!
              >
              > Aran
              >

              > --- In Anglo_Saxon_Lyres@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Saball" <dr_douglittle@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Michael,
              > >
              > > I was told that the lyre was from a German style, and called a rote
              > > because it has wire strings (yes my ignorance is showing here). As I
              > > mentioned a picture of a finished one is in the photo files by
              > > Mathius7.
              > >
              > > It has been laser cut & routed out of ¾ inch maple, with ¼ inch
              > > spruce plywood sound board. The tail, piece as well as the bridge,
              > > are from the plywood as well.
              > >
              > > Zither tuning pegs were used.
              > >
              > > So since I have access to piano wire & guitar strings, I was
              > > wondering what gauges to use.
              > >
              > > Bottom line I can get in touch with the person who made the kit and
              > > ask what brand gauge guitar strings he used.
              > >
              > > Personally, I would rather make more historically correct lyres,
              > > rotes, etc. so my talks at the local events would be accurate.
              > > Eventually I hope to get some shop tools to make stuff again.
              > >
              > > Thanks for the advice.
              > >
              > > Doug
              > >
              > > --- In Anglo_Saxon_Lyres@yahoogroups.com, "michaeljking2007"
              > > <michaeljking2007@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hello Doug,
              > > > There are a number of factors to consider, scale length for one but
              > > > for me the question to ask first is what is your lyre made from? As
              > > > the soundboard has to take the pressure of the bridge under the
              > > > strings, The Germanic Lyres are by their very design instruments
              > > that
              > > > can only take low tension strings, that wide soundboard in maple-
              > > > unsupported, A Horsehair strung lyre has very little pressure on
              > > the
              > > > thin soundboard, gut more so, but even here most of us use low
              > > tension
              > > > gut strings rather than the heavy tensioned twisted/treated gut
              > > strings.
              > > >
              > > > If you are wanting to use steel piano wire/guitar this is really
              > > only
              > > > an option if you have a plywood lyre, or a lyre with bracing fitted
              > > > (not authentic maybe but would work)
              > > >
              > > > Maybe brass or iron strings could be considered?
              > > >
              > > > I am sure there are some players with metal strung lyres here who
              > > can
              > > > further advise.
              > > >
              > > > best wishes
              > > >
              > > > michael
              > > >

              > > > --- In Anglo_Saxon_Lyres@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Saball"

              > > what

              > > what
              > > wire
              > > steel

            • Doug Saball
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 13, 2008
                Thank you all for the advice on the strings. I have learned a lot
                from this list. I hope this winter to start setting up a room in my
                house as a shop so I can start making instruments again.

                Doug (Dougal in SCA & Neville Companye, Fornbern in Vikings of
                Vinholm)