early Welsh music

  • simon@simonchadwick.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11, 2008
      Hello all

      Is anyone thinking of going to the medieval Welsh events in Brecon &
      Tewkesbury next month? Though it is billed mainly as a medieval Welsh
      harp event, with Ann Heymann playing a new reconstruction Welsh harp
      with horsehair strings, I understand that Charlie Heymann will be
      playing 2 different lyres as well as crwth in some of the pieces
      being performed - Welsh and Latin texts set to reconstructed string
      music.

      There's more info on the website here: http://www.telynrawn.org/
      events.html

      Its not often we get a big concert with proper lyre music in!

      Simon
    • michael king
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 11, 2008
        Thanks for posting this Simon,   only found out about it this morning myself,
        This is a really exiting project!

        I will be going to the Tewkesbury Abbey performance on the 28th Oct at 1pm and the accompanying Lecture, It is such good luck -as its half term that week and my 4 kids are all off school so I don't have to do the school run.....

        Charlie Heymann is playing two of my instruments, a Horsehair strung Lyre (oak body with a maple soundboard) and one of my crwths set up to play just 3 strings like the earlier medieval crwth.   He says he will be mainly accompanying singing and the harp playing but there may also be some bowed lyre as well!!

        This is also well timed also because I will have started carving out my first full sized Clarsach-wire harp and my head will already be full of the harp....  (: Anne Heymann will be playing the cláirseach  as well as the welsh Telyn reconstruction.))

        It would be great to see some  Forum Members there,    I should be quite visable with my goatie beard and glasses....http://www.michaeljking.com/gaim.jpg  so please feel free to introduce yourself!!

        Best wishes

        Michael J King