Re: Ageless male

  • Androgel-owner@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 14 6:44 AM
      In the USA the FDA does not do regulation or insist on any open studies on herbal products. In short as long as you don't claim it will do anything the FDA doesn't control it. So when you read the fine print there are lots of "not proven to provide any medical benefit" type language. Knowing how much to take is often a real guess. Take Saw Palmetto. Some places sell 180mg capsules that you take twice a day. Other places sell 450mg (Or larger?) that you take ? times a day. Which is correct? How do you measure it? I was always told if you can't measure it - its not science.

      "Ageless Male" is fenugreek herb. My opinion is to look and see if its used in Europe. They have a system where these things are regulated and actually have to be proven to work. The one thing still missing is that some of the USA companies don't put out a product that has the same dose in each bottle (or pill)

      If I had just learned I had hormone problems I would do one thing (Like Androgel, Testim etc) for a while to see how that works. I think adjustment of the hormone replacement is a very important part of treatment and that took me quite a while to get right. Adding in an unknown (herb) would seem (to me) to make things a lot more complicated.

      I think the places selling "male enhancement" are a good example of questionable (or at best misleading) advertising. What exactly IS "Male Enhancement?" Does it make you run faster? Make love more often? Increase the size of your unit? When you don't spell it out (And the FDA would insist you prove it does *if you did) you can leave it up to peoples imagination and sell a lot of tablets.

      That said my GP has suggested one herbal so I'm not totally against this type of thing. I just think its (really) questionable if these things are just expensive scams.

    • radley10@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 14 6:50 AM
        Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity, what herbal did your GP recommend?

        Message 3 of 5 , May 14 7:02 AM
          Red Yeast Rice. This might be a good example of how I try to check if the OTC stuff is "kosher"

          Check out this link
          http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/red-yeast-rice/NS_patient-redyeast

          The Mayo Clinic is a well respected outfit and they seem very clear that it works. You could look at their search

          Message 4 of 5 , May 14 7:27 AM
            It looks like it's good to lower cholesterol, but "unclear scientific evidence" for improving blood flow and benifits for diabetes. My cholesterol level is fine, but I do have diabetes. Thanks again for the info.