'Alien' skulls unearthed in ancient graveyard

  • Ancient Star
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2013
       ‘Alien’ skulls unearthed in ancient graveyard,
        or just Humans after all?
      Thursday 3 January 2013,

      Archaeologists in Mexico have discovered a cache of ancient human skulls warped into strange, alien-like shapes.

      One of the ancient ‘alien’ skulls unearthed in mexico. Photo: Cristina García / INAH
      One of the ancient ‘alien’ skulls unearthed in mexico. Where are the round
      eye socket holes and nostrils?
        Photo: Cristina García / INAH

      The tradition of binding boards to the skulls of children as they grew was once common in Central America, but the findings suggest the practice spread much farther north than had been thought.

      The graves were discovered in the northern Mexican state of Sonora by villagers digging an irrigation canal.

      The site, known as El Cementerio, contained the remains of 25 human burials. Seventeen were of young children between 5 months and 16 years old, and 13 of bodies had skulls that had been deformed into a pointed ‘alien-like’ shape.

      Five of the skulls had mutilated teeth that had been ground down into strange shapes.

      “The most common comment I’ve read from people that see the pictures of cranial deformation has been that they think that those people were ‘aliens,’” said archeologist Cristina García Moreno, who worked on the dig.

      “I could say that some say that as a joke, but the interesting thing is that some do think so. Obviously we are talking about human beings, not of aliens.”

      “Cranial deformation has been used by different societies in the world as a ritual practice, or for distinction of status within a group or to distinguish between social groups.

      “The reason why these individuals at El Cementerio deformed their skulls is still unknown,” García said.

      http://www.thephuketnews.com/%E2%80%98alien%E2%80%99-skulls-unearthed-in-ancient-graveyard-35986.php