Re: [Ancient_History_Expanded] Origin of "Mohawk-hair-do"

  • dot
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 8, 2012
      Hi Kat- sorry to take  so long in  replying, but have  been really busy.
      Last night I watched a  documentary “hidden faces of the  Bible” which featured a recreation of a Philistine woman’s head- taken from  a 2000 year old skull, using new forensic techniques. They were trying to recreate the face of Delilah. The interesting issue  was that anthropologists now believe the Philistines, AKA The ‘Sea People” were refugees from Minoan Crete. They showed stele from Luxor, depicting a battle between Egypt and the Sea People, whose  warriors had that ‘mohawk’ style headress.
      This begs me to research  further, but it will have to wait for a while as I am so busy with other studies and family issues right now.
      I am moving to the UK in May, and plan to spend most of my time following my interests in Minoan Crete and the Phaistos  disc, and it will be great to catch up on the latest findings.
      The articles you  posted are very interesting!

      regards
      Dot
    • ShaamAnsu
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 9, 2012
        You are moving to the UK..You will be enveloped in history.;) winking

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 10, 2012
          “you will be  steeped in  History”
          LOL  Kat – that’s the main reason  for moving there!

          I was  born and  raised in London, and  moved to Australia 34 years ago. now my  kids are  all grown and  raising  families of their own, and  my husband and I are retired, we can split our  year (each year) between the UK and Australia.

          we are not well off, but we travel light and backpack around as much as  we  can, and never  see enough of the UK or  Europe while we are there for 2 months each year visiting our large  UK  families, so we  decided to relocate to England (Essex- in a  small town just outside of London) where I intend to soak up as much ancient history as possible, and take advantage of the affordable package deals to the Med, especially Crete Cyprus and Malta!

          right now we are teaching ourselves Greek Italian French and German phrases (especially  Greek for me) so I can  at least understand some of the languages as we  travel around.
          I am  hoping to arrange meeting  with historians and researchers who work in the areas we are interested in.

          Its  Summer in Australia from December until March, so  we  will live here during  those months.
          I am really looking forward to ticking off items on my ‘bucket list” LOL

          cheers

          Dot
        • Ancient Star
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 10, 2012

            Hi Dot,

            Same here - super busy too.  It could be that the hero dude on the Phaistos disc had
            a 'helmet' on, but the engravings are so small to really see it clearly.  But Caesar did
            describe the Gallic warriors with long golden hair shaved on both sides of their
            heads with a strip left on top standing up like a pony mane which trailed down their backs, without helmets.  Celtic men were known for wearing long hair.  In fact, near
            54 BC when the Romans under Gaius Caesar spied out Britain for conquering, after they'd conquered the Celts in the Alps and Aquitania, they stayed away for quite sometime, because, as Gaius himself put it, the men there were Celts,  big metal working Milesians, with wild, long hair, very large and quite foreboding.  They shied away and worked on other devious plans.  After Pompey found out what Gaius had done to the Celts in the Mountains, he and his supporters were appalled and assassinated him, but the Romans  came to Britain later, and caused their havoc after all.

            Prince Madoc from Wales and all his many followers and colonists who came and settled America around 1170 CE, must also have brought that hair-do, because his descendant Chief (a 'Shawnee/Sheeny'),  was shown in this old photograph looking something like the guy on the Phaistos disc., only older.  A Pilgrim leader stated the 'Shawnees' looked just like the people in England (but are now probably of mixed blood).

            And no, the folks in the Levant were not originally refugees, because they first came from the mainlands to the islands in the first place (Mak'enyens/Myceneans, who were Ionian-Greeks/Syrians/Anatolians).  People were slightly becoming mixed-bloods way back in history.  Many black Nubians hired out as mercenaries to  different countries of Caucasian armies.   The Egyptians (who were originally Caucasians/Makenyans), had first trained a Nubian army, which later conquered them and took over Egypt.  It took about a hundred and twenty years or so to get the  Government back, which I believe was what the Hyksos might have finally accomplished, but by then the Nubians had defaced and sacked everything from old, ancient Egyptian history.  I suspect that is just one reason why they and others were treated like dirt after that, even into the 20th century.   Anyway ...

            Enjoy the UK.  One of my  Grandmothers hailed from there, and yes some are very history conscious.   A place to learn a lot!

            Kind regards,
            Kat