Stairway covered in Mayan hieroglyphics uncovered in Campeche, Mexico.

  • Ancient Star
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2011
      Looking like an extra-wide ancient Arabic/Konyan 'minbar' ..
      Stairway covered in Mayan  hieroglyphics uncovered
      in Campeche, Mexico.

      Figure left: The fragmented block represents an emblem glyph of Kaan (Snake)(Kanyin/Canyon) dynasty at Calakmul, one of the most powerful Ancient Maya dynasties.
      Photo by Kenichiro Tsukamoto
      .

      Typically, hieroglyphic stairways are part of the central or core elements of the elite ruling class, however, this was not the case at El Palmar because the building was located on the outskirts of the site, away from the center. The location of the stairway perplexed Javier: “For me, the discovery of the hieroglyphic stairway at El Palmar was a great surprise. When Kenichiro notified me of the architectural group away from the central zone, I assumed that it would be similar to El Resbalon in Quintana Roo, where Post-Classic inhabitants reused the abandoned city, taking apart the hieroglyphic stairway and using the carved blocks for new constructions, placing them out of order in other parts of the city”.
      Figure above: Lithograph of Stela at Copan, Published in 1844 by Frederick Catherwood in Views of Ancient Monuments in Central America, Chiapas, and Yucatan.