Re: [Ind-Arch] India's underwater heritage

  • jpisc98357@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1 10:04 AM
      Dear Friends,

      I received the following from the Indian Archaeology Yahoo Group this
      morning and thought you would find it interesting. The author mentions a
      British pseudo-archaeology producer by the name of Graham Hancock who
      specializes in hunts for ancient astronauts, pyramid power, Secrets of the
      Pharaohs and other gee whiz productions. Archaeology magazine has a long
      story on this type of popular television products aired on Discovery, History
      and TLC if you are interested.

      Best regards, John Piscopo

    • jpisc98357@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1 9:42 PM
        In a message dated 5/1/2003 10:03:13 PM Central America Standard Tim,
        ategnatos@... writes: > What I was referring to is resistance to new
        > ideas, or even to revival of old ideas that were not actually disproven,
        > but lost the status of "mainstream consensus." Many academics tend to react
        > to challenges to current consensus as if they were in a cult and being
        > confronted with a "heresy".

        Dear Mark DeFilio,

        The problem is still the lack of publication. I know of no single
        museum that has published a series of books of its own collections that
        includes scholarly study by academics or experts who specialize in that area
        of study. This failure to publish and make available in museum bookstores
        means that education is blocked and disputes as to what the museum thinks it
        has and what others may view may be different. The dialogue can't take place.
        The problem is the failure to do more than publish picture books as to what
        they consider to be treasures.

        Major museums, The Field Museum of Natural History or the Oriental
        Institute of the University of Chicago or the Chicago Art Institute here in
        the Chicago area are cases in point. You can't find out what is in their
        collections, only what is on display at any given time. What is published is
        for the tourists and general public, not for scholars. Minor pieces are
        ignored.

        The Oriental Institute has huge numbers of cuneiform tablets in their
        storage rooms but most have not been translated and published. How does one
        study without them? The OI is working on their collections but the work
        would go much faster if they would simply publish their tablets and allow
        others to take a stab at the work.

        From my point of view, they may have hundreds of ancient weapons in
        their storage rooms that I would love to see but would never be granted
        access to. I know of no work anyware that studies ancient Mesopotamian
        weapons using the actual weapons for study and publishing quality
        photographs. Aren't Assyrian weapons just as important as Luristan ones?
        Surely they have been excavated.

        The Smithsonian in Washington, the Metropolitan in New York, the Mellon
        in Pittsburg, the Peabody in Boston and on and on all have the same problem.
        You can't get real access to their back room collections to do independent
        research and there is no systematic program to get qualified academics to do
        the work.

        Your question is interesting enough that I am publishing it and my reply
        and hope others might want to voice their opinions on my criticism of the
        museums and the academics that run them.

        The European museums will have the same policies, foreigners are not
        wanted here unless we invite them and we don't invite nobody that nobody
        sent. (A variation of Chicago patronage lingo)

        Best Regards, John Piscopo
        <A HREF="http://www.johnpiscoposwords.com">http://www.JohnPiscopoSwords.com</A>
        <A HREF="Chinese_Archaeology-subscribe@yahoogroups.com">Chinese_Archaeology-subscribe@yahoogroups.com</A>
        <A HREF="Ancientartifacts-subscribe@yahoogroups.com">Ancientartifacts-subscribe@yahoogroups.com</A>