Celtic Bronze Age Weapons & Bibliography

  • John Piscopo
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2001
      Dear Friends,

      Tony Brady was kind enough to send me a CD with pictures from
      the Irish Museum's Bronze Age collection. I am attaching pictures of
      swords and some axes, if you want more, let me know. This disc is
      identified as Sony CDQ-74CN. There are a lot of pictures attached, I
      would recommend downloading when you can spend some time doing
      something else other than waiting. Unfortunately, I can't attach the
      pictures that I sent with the original email. If you would like to
      see them, send me an email and I will forward it to you.

      I would recommend the following bibliography for those of you
      who wish to make a more detailed study of Irish Bronze Age weapons:

      Eogen, George. Catalogue of Irish Bronze Swords. National Museum of
      Ireland. Dublin, Ireland. 1965

      Evans, John. The Ancient Bronze Implements Weapons, and Ornaments of
      Great Britain and Ireland. D. Appleton and Company. New York, NY.
      1881. A very important early work only available through rare book
      search. Mine cost $150.

      Green, Miranda J., Ed. The Celtic World. Routledge. New York, NY.
      1996. An 839 page paperback with everything you could want to know
      about the Celts.

      Harbison, Peter. The Axes of the Early Bronze Age in Ireland.
      Praehistorische Bronzeefunde IX, 1. Band. C.H. Beck'sche
      Verlagsbuchhandlung. Munchen, Ger. 1969. This book is English
      language.

      Naue, Dr. Julius Naue. Die Vorromischen Schwerter aus Kupfer, Bronze
      und Eisen. Verlag der K. Priv. Kunst-Anstalt Piloty & Loehe. Munchen,
      Ger. 1903. A classic.

      Peake, Harold, F.S.A. The Bronze Age and the Celtic World. 1922.
      Reprinted by Hacker Art Books. New York, NY. 1969.

      Forrest Murphy may be able to provide reprints of some of the
      above, his address is forrest.murphey@....

      Please contact me directly if you are interested in additional
      titles on Celtic studies on the Continent.

      Best regards, John Piscopo
      http://www.johnpiscoposwords.com
      PO Box 137
      Western Springs, IL 60558-0137