Re: Utah Law Communistic Police State Capitalists BEWARE

  • alanvanarsdale
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2010
      Hello
      The Utah Antique Store association has already tried the more
      "Traditional" approach, and we have our results. Better to be "nice" at first, and try the usual political methods. That has failed already. I fully accept I may lose my business, may even get it expropriated for "fines", may even have to flee misdemeanor charges in Utah (for example if they take me to court and claim hundreds or thousands of cheap items were never reported to the data base). But I will not go down without a fight.
      This law is clearly against Capitalism and against the American Constitution. It is every bit as bad, for those who lose their businesses, as the legislation used in Missouri in tyhe 1800's to steal Mormon property under the color of law (only in recent years has the governor of Mi9ssouri apologised with this "legal" theft). Theft is theft, this is theft. I have more respect for some drug addicted black youth who comes in my store to rob me with a gun (and it has happened), than I have for these people.
      When we go out of business, our competitors get part of it. My clientel and my business with them are my property, I can even sell my business if I want (without Real estate or merchandise), but it is not worth much with this "law" hanging over it. They put me out of business, their share of the trade increases (pawn shops who wrote this law), THEFT.
      I have a better chance to defend my business from armed robbers (as I have), than from robbers using the law to rob me. This is nothing about taxation, a right states have, or consumer protection. This law is written expressly to target businesses like mine and put us out of business by making it economically impossible for us to comply. Pawn shops do not buy large numbers of cheap items as I do, they pay under market for more expensive items. The law says every piece of glass in every cheap jewelry item has to be described, how often does a pawn shop buy glass in jewelry? I have been in many pawn shops, in 100 pawn shops, there will not be as much glass as in my store, in most there will be none.
      I also deal in coins, including thousands of cheap coins. Again, go to 100 pawn shops, you will not see as many cheap coins in them as in my store. I can not describe so many items as the law requires and put them on the data base, and those who wrote the law know it, they wrote this to put people like me out of business by corrupting Utah law.
      I pay competitivce prices unlike pawn shops, which stimulates the economy and reduces poverty. If I am gone, many who do not have cars, will not have any place that will buy a lot of the items they sell me. Items they sell me to pay utility bills to keep them from being shut off, to pay rent to prevent being homeless, to buy food or medicine (I am not exagerating, these are COMMON reasons people sell to me). Capitalism without consumer protection, or without ciompetition, is the most opressive system of all. The best we have when done right, the worst when done wrong. And this law is being managed by the consumer protection office. They should come ask some of my customers if they feel they are being protected by this.
      Best
      Alan Van Arsdale