Rhomphaia

  • Dada Mamusa
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2009
      Good day,

      I am passionate about ancient weapons, especially the Thracian and Dacian ones and I joined this group hoping that we could have an useful exchange of information about what is in our interest. I am currently writing a paper about the Thracian offensive weapons (daggers, swords etc.), and in this paper I plan to write in detail about the Thracian rhomphaia (spear â€" scythe). Unfortunately, there have been few writings about this weapon in Romania, my country, and the same in the Anglo-Saxon literature. You if you have any kind of writings, references, images, sources or anything about this subject, please let me know, I would be forever grateful.

      Thank you!

      Dada Mamusa www.enciclopedia-dacica.ro
    • Kenneth Blair
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2009
        I would suggest you take a look at swordforum.com

        There is bound to be discussion there. Use the 'search' function, and it will bring up pages of material.

        I have seen reconstructed weapons of Dacian type hacking through modern versions of Roman shields in photographs there, and such a weapon could not have escaped comment on the forum. I have heard the Romans reinforced their helmets with iron strips and wore gladiator greaves to take the massive power of the penetrating tips of the Dacian falx during Trajans successful offensive into Dacia (thereafter called ROMamia.) This is not my area of study, but I anticipate there are admirers of such swords out there.

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2009
          Hi Dada -
          I would love to see your paper when written but am afraid I could not offer much on the topic. My interest is in ancient weapons as a whole with an emphasis on more Eastern cultures.

          Thanks,
          Rich Nable