can you tell me if the sword my wife bought in israel is real and what it is

  • erp2010
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 30, 2008
      she bought this sword and i am suspicious as it was sold as roman, but
      has been told to me not to be roman. so any thoughts?
    • erp2010
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 30, 2008
        she bought this sword <http://www.erp2010.com/sword.jpg> and i am
        suspicious as it was sold as roman, but has been told to me not to be
        roman. so any thoughts?

        Erik

      • Ken Dorney
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 30, 2008
          Erik,

          Appears genuine from the photo, but not Roman. It is instead Iranian, roughly 2nd Millennium BC. However, the blade seems fairly typical for Luristan and Marlik, but the pommel is a fairly distinctive form for Amarlu. You may want to examine it very closely to see if maybe it is two pieces joined together (somewhat common these days).

          Ken

          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
          Kenneth W. Dorney
          Classical Numismatist
          Since 1988
          http://www.coolcoins.com

          "Man has not evolved an inch from the slime that spawned him." Mr. Hyde.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 31, 2008
            Yes,

            I agree with Ken, this is definitely not Roman. Aside from the combination
            of styles, the hilt is particularly long in proportion to the blade which
            suggests a lack of balance that would make it very unwieldy to use. I would
            not like to ride into battle with my life depending on such a piece.

            best regards,

            Sue

            Sue McGovern, President

            Member, International Society of Appraisers

            Sands of Time Antiquities

            Phone: 202 342 0518 Fax: 703 997 2410

            email: sue@...

            3003 P St NW, Washington DC 20007

            Hours: Tuesday - Saturday 10am - 6pm

            Open 24 hours: www.dcancientart.com <http://www.sandsoftimedc.com/>

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 31, 2008
              Hello Erik,
              It is everything but not roman. I found the last Years some Roman Iron swords here in Germany and the form of the handle is not a roman form. It looks like an Persian or Iranian sword.
              Sorry when my English is not the best I don´t use often.
              Ulli
            • check
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 31, 2008
                hello
                this sword looks authentic but not roman.
                It looks iranian sword, may be from luristan. aprox -800BC