"Roman spatha"?

  • Foster Stanback
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2007
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230147494133&rd=1&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

      This sword appears to be ancient, but it is too short to be a spatha and too narrow to be a gladius. Any other opinions?

      --Foster Stanback

    • Matthew Amt
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2007
        Ave!

        Agreed, it doesn't really look like any Roman piece
        I've seen, though I don't know as much about the later
        eras. The chape and that plate at the throat remind
        me of 14th century scabbards.

        Frankly, if it's on ebay, I start with the
        assumption that it's either fake or looted (though
        there are a few reputable ebay dealers). "The
        Balkans" is certainly a strip-mine for looted
        artifacts these days, but the Item Location of
        "Netherlands, United States" sounds like an indicator
        for a fake!

        Caveat Emptor!

        Matthew

        Posted by: "Foster Stanback"
        fstanback@...

        This sword appears to be ancient, but it is too
        short to be a spatha and too narrow to be a gladius.
        Any other opinions?

        --Foster Stanback

        Don't pick lemons.
        See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
        http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html