Grade 5 school project

  • Geraldine Stegman
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2007
      Hello to all:
      I am trying to help my son prepare a project on ancient chinese weapons and comparisons to modern day weapons. Quite hard to find simplistic info!!!
      any suggestions ???

      He thinks he might like to focus on crossbows, but any suggestions for anything is apprecited.

    • Scaith
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2007
        Hi Geraldine
        Thats a decent task for an adult, let alone a child. I was just sitting here
        trying to think of a weapon that only the Chinese used and can't think of
        one.
        I think everyone copied off everyone else and some weapons were invented in
        multiple places without reference to each other.
        Is the comparison that he's supposed to do about the same weapon, ie:
        ancient crossbow compared to modern crossbow, or is it ancient crossbow
        compared to a rifle?
        Rockets could also be a good thing for him to look at. I'm pretty sure that
        the Chinese were the first to use them, and maybe the first to use them as a
        weapon also.
        Derek

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2007
          I don't think anyone but the Chinese have used repeating, or double
          bolt crossbows.
          mark shier
        • Kenneth Blair
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3, 2007
            Jieming who suscribes to this group has made replicas of repeating
            crossbows and such. There are even Youtube videos of other people in
            America or somewhere shooting targets with similar homemade versions.
            There is a documentary extract on them posted on CHF coming from
            Youtube.
            Multishot crossbows are only loosely reconstructed, by some supposed
            large mechanisms found, period references and a few simple drawings from
            the period (i.e Song dynasty). This may be biting off more than can be
            chewed.
            Try going onto CHF (China History Forum) and then search using the
            function at the bottom of the page. Should be some discussion on
            constuction, I think there is even a thread just on the subject of
            making one.
            Jieming may even reply if he is still recieving these to his e-mail.

            ________________________________

            I am trying to help my son prepare a project on ancient chinese weapons
            and comparisons to modern day weapons. Quite hard to find simplistic
            info!!!
            any suggestions ???

            He thinks he might like to focus on crossbows, but any suggestions for
            anything is apprecited.

            This communication, including any attachments, is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not read it - please contact me immediately, destroy it, and do not copy or use any part of this communication or disclose anything about it. Thank you. Please note that this communication does not designate an information system for the purposes of the Electronic Transactions Act 2002.

          • Kenneth Blair
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 3, 2007
              Just because some weapons were copied from Chinese I don't think it
              would be fair to say there are no weapons that only the Chinese used. It
              is true many ideas were borrowed around the world and a sword can always
              be compared to another sword but China was rather more isolated than
              most when it came to developing the bulk of their technologies. I expect
              some of the rocket launced arrows or multi-stage rockets and such would
              not have been used by anyone else, perhaps untill the concepts of the
              20th century. I haven't heard of bi-mettalic bronze swords in other
              cultures either. I bet there will be plenty if the surface is scratched.
              Even the ancient Chinese crossbow, in use since the 3rd century BC, was
              of a type that couldn't be mimiced by its neighbours due to the complex
              task of bronze casting the various fitting parts, and so I would call
              this a weapon truly only Chinese ever used. The torsion examples of the
              Romans (rivetted sheet metal) and the later middle ages steel version
              should not somehow make them seem less revolutionary or unique in their
              anceient era.
              Of the repeating crossbow....I don't think anything can be taken away
              from the Chinese. The earliest simple versions date to the 3rd century
              BC and even in the late dynasties I doubt anybody else used it except
              for auxillaries.
              Heat decarburised iron straight from the furnace was not developed in
              the West untill the 18th century IIRC but the Chinese had this mastered
              by the 1st century BC and made steel of a quality other nations at the
              time commented on. By the 3rd century a mid carbon steel was produced
              directly from the furnace. The mystique of the katana and Japanese sword
              making in truth, undeniably, owes much the base of expertise from
              centuries of Chinese swordsmiths. Tang dynasty swords for example are
              still treasured in Japan.

              What you say is true in a way, but given the fact that ideas were copied
              it seems to me no reason to not give exclusive credit to the inventors
              where credit is due.

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 3, 2007
                Thanks so much everyone for all the input. It's amazing the info and ideas a person can find on a subject when one goes looking!
                My son has decided to focus on the crossbow and its use as an ancient weapon and compare it to modern day weaponry- thus a rifle. He has found reference to the change from sword and bows to rifles- thus his comparison connection to modern times.

                We will be reviewing suggested sites this week.
                with thanks