Re: [AncientWeapons] Re: Roman Pugio ? Or Celtiberian dagger ?

  • Afrumelo
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2006
      Dear Friends,

      On October I sent the e-mail hereunder calling the attention to the "roman pugio" to be auctioned by Hermann Historica.
      The piece sold for Eur 3,200.00 or US$ 4,089.60.
      However I then had the impression that this was most likely not a roman pugio, but rather another and older "animal" - an Iberian dagger from likely the III-II century BC, sometimes called a Celtiberian (middle period La Tène culture) dager. Therefore older and scarcer than the pugios...
      You can find a few of these very rare daggers in the Cataloge of the 44. Auction from Hermann Historica, - 15 May 2003 - where an extraordinary Iberian collection has been auctionned, all the pieces purchased by the Spanish government...
      Does anybody have a view on this topic?
      Best regards
      Antonio