ebay scam

  • Foster Stanback
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2005
      Hello All:

      I wanted to let everyone know about a new ebay scam (or perhaps an old one that I wasn't aware of yet). I recently placed a bid on a Roman helmet offered for sale on ebay. Although I lost the bid, I received a "Second Chance Offer" within a couple of weeks. The alleged seller claimed that the high bidder did not pay so that my bid was now the highest. At first the seller claimed that he would inform ebay and that they would send me another email telling me how to proceed with payment. In a subsequent email, however, the supposed seller asked me to send money via Western Union--this immediately raised a red flag for me. I contacted ebay about the suspected fraud and they informed me that my suspicions were correct. I later received three other "Second Chance Offers" on the same item from three other "sellers." One of them had opened a new ebay account the same day so that his email to me also appeared in the "My Messages" section of my ebay account, thereby appearing
      legitimate. The security team at ebay was very helpful in confirming these fraudulent emails. I am copying their response to me which contains helpful information for those of us who bid on items on ebay.

      Regards,
      Foster Stanback

      Print - Close Window Date:Tue, 01 Nov 2005 19:31:17 -0800To:"Foster Stanback" <fstanback@...>Subject:RE: SP91011 your recent report to eBay's Trust and Safety Department (KMM193625950V2264L0KM)From:"eBay Customer Support" <rswebhelp@...>
      Hello,Thank you for taking the time to report this email to eBay so that wemay review it.The message you received is fraudulent and is not a part of eBay'ssecond chance offer program. A real second chance offer would have a"Buy it Now" link so you could buy the item directly on the eBay siteand see yourself as the winner.In addition, it is attempting to sell an item outside of the eBay site.To be a valid transaction, your User ID needs to be listed as the buyeron the ended auction page. Items purchased outside of the eBay site arenot eligible for our protective services, such as the Fraud ProtectionProgram. This service is only available for items listed, bought, andsold on eBay in compliance with our guidelines and policies. For moreinformation on this policy, please visit the link below. Please do notsend this person any money.http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/rfe-spam-non-ebay-sale.htmlI have reviewed your report and have taken appropriate action inaccordance with our site
      policies. Such action may include issuing awarning, temporary suspension, indefinite suspension or terminating themembership. Due to privacy concerns, I am not at liberty to discuss thedetails of any action taken. I hope you understand this position andthat it assures you that your personal account history will alwaysremain private.Please be aware that eBay discourages all transactions, which areinitiated by parties other than the seller and the winning buyer in acompleted eBay listing. Sales that take place outside of eBay carry apotential fraud risk and are not eligible for eBay services, includingfeedback, contact information requests, and the eBay Fraud ProtectionProgram. You can review the services provided through the eBay FraudProtection Program at: http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/problems-fraud.htmlIn addition, we do not recommend the use of instant cash wire transferservices such as Western Union and MoneyGram, and we ask that usersdecline sending payment in cases
      where these are the only methods ofpayment offered by the seller. Generally, if payment is sent using aninstant cash wire transfer service and the item is not delivered aspromised, no recourse is available for recovering funds. In most cases,an escrow service should be used when purchasing high dollar valueitems. More information on the benefits and risks of individual paymentmethods can be found at: http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/payment.htmlIf you are ever concerned about an email you receive from eBay orthrough the email forwarding system, open a new Web browser, typewww.ebay.com into your browser address field to go directly to the eBaysite. Sign into your account and check My Messages in your my eBay. Ifyou get an email to your registered eBay email address that looks likeit's from eBay about a problem with your account or requesting personalinformation, check My Messages first. Also, only emails fromregistered members will be sent to your My Messages. If it's not there,it's
      a fake email.Again, thank you for reporting this matter and for your help in keepingeBay a fun and safe place to trade.Regards,SharlaeBay SafeHarborInvestigations Team______________________________eBay Inc.The World's Online MarketplaceĀ®*******************************************Important: eBay will not ask you for sensitive personal information(such as your password, credit card and bank account numbers, SocialSecurity numbers, etc.) in an email. Learn more account protection tipsat:http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/isgw-account-theft-reporting.html

      if(window.yzq_p==null)document.write("");if(window.yzq_p)yzq_p('P=jHxcPULaX8x_5gHwQ1mByADKRrur.kNo9ZgADDFs&T=13q0bh1ci%2fX%3d1130952088%2fE%3d150500158%2fR%3dmail%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d1.1%2fW%3dJ%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d2027569972%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3dCD5DDA42');if(window.yzq_s)yzq_s();