Ancient Weapons

  • jpisc98357@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 24, 2001
      Dear Ancient Weapons Collectors,

         I collect Bronze and Iron Age weapons from Europe, the Near East, China
      and SE Asia.  I have networks of friends who share my interests and we share
      information through emails on eBay auctions and discuss issues related to
      identification, authentication and valuation.  In addition, we alert each
      other when modern repros are offered as genuine antiquities. I am happy to
      discuss weapons with anyone who writes. Take a look at my website at: COME TO
      JOHNPISCOPOSWORDS.COM!

      Best regards,  John Piscopo
      http://www.johnpiscoposwords.com
      PO Box 137
      Western Springs, IL 60558-0137
      (708)246-7111
    • VanArsdale
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 24, 2001
        Dear John and ancient weapons list members,
        Maybe we could make a link with your group. If you are just
        exchanging emails it would be more convenient to at least partly use
        this site. Also we have 19 members already on the new Antiquity
        forgery Study List. This is a spin off from the Coin forgery discussion
        list, or CFDL (580 members). This new antiquity forgery list is a little
        low key, as you know there are a fair amount of antiquity forgery
        dealers out there, so we do not
        want to agravate them too much, just yet. To join the aniquity forgery
        list send an email to AFST-subscribe@yahoogroups.com . Also if you want
        to link up John, I have no problem with making you a moderator on both
        lists if you want (but you should bring those of your contacts in who
        want to be). This will increase your functionality on the list,
        and in case we ever have to moderate the antiquity forgery list (which
        is likely), you will have equal list powers with me (except I can remove
        you as a moderator, which is highly unlikely). You would not be required
        to do anything as moderator unless you wanted to, no duties
        or obligations, there are 15 moderators on the CFDL. The forgery problem
        is worse on eBay in antiquities than in ancient coins. Yet the level of
        organisation among buyers and honest sellers against forgeries in this
        market is lower.
        Antiquity traders can be sure they will have the full support of the
        CFDL in getting a handle on forgeries in antiquities on eBay and else
        where (the CFDL is a seasoned list with 580 loyal members who have stuck
        it out on internet coin forgery suppression!).
        Best Wishes to all new List members,
        Alan VanArsdale

      • jpisc98357@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 24, 2001
          In a message dated 6/24/01 6:05:16 PM Central Daylight Time,
          barnowl@... writes:
          I have no problem with making you a moderator on
          both lists if you want (but you should bring those of your contacts in who
          want to be). This will increase your functionality on the list, and in case
          we ever have to moderate the antiquity forgery list (which is likely), you
          will have equal list powers with me

          Dear Alan,

              You can put me down as a moderator if you like.  There is no specific
          link that would attach to my networks, I have three email lists, antiquities,
          usually European and Western Asia, Danish Neolithic and Chinese. In addition
          there is an OATA list, Online Antiquities Trade Association. I sent the email
          out to all four lists. There is nothing organized about it.  I send emails
          out to everyone on a list if the topic I want to discuss is of interest.  Not
          too much overlap but some.

             I could not figure out how to reach the posted messages.  You will have
          to give me some instruction, I am new to this.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 25, 2001
            Dear John,
            Thanks for all of the informative posts. This list is new, so
            there were not any posts previously. Past psots in yahoo egroups
            can be found in the archives. To get to this you need to sign up
            for yahoo egroups (probably better to try and decipher their
            instructions, took me a few tries to get it right myself). I will put
            you down as a moderator of the AFST (which had 19 members when you were
            invited), and this list, the ancient weapons list. This will allow
            you greater access to the list, and even the ability to ban members etc.
            (I hope that this will not be neccessary, but on the AFST there likely
            will be trouble eventually from dealers who do not want to debate the
            authenticity of their goods, especially if they know they are fake, but
            some can be very angry who do not know also). I suspect this list (the
            ancient weapons list), will be a peacefull one, despite its rather
            military area of interest.
            Best Wishes,
            Alan VanArsdale