RE: ABH The Bible As History

  • Kim Huey
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 2001
      Hi Tony:

      I have the book, however, it is an earlier edition. I don't have the
      last version. I always loved history...any old history...and then I ran
      across this book in a thrift store and for $1 I discovered a whole new
      area of history that I hadn't much considered before. So, of course, I
      have a tender spot in my heart for Mr. Keller.

      There is some neat stuff in that book and well worth the effort to read
      it. It does not have a lot of terribly deep research, but it does take
      the reader through the Bible and explain some of the rather difficult
      passages. It has good facts, credible sources and presents some
      interesting ideas that shed light on how things in the Bible might have
      happened. It's the only book that I've found that explains how Bible
      miracles could have happened. I thought the book was believable.

      If you haven't read it yet, then when you do, enjoy it for me as well.

      Kim

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2001

        > I have the book, however, it is an earlier edition.

        I have the 1982 edition. Oddly enough, the front cover is a panoramic view
        of Petra, but there is no mention of the city in the book.

        >I ran
        > across this book in a thrift store

        I find that in this age of large chain bookstores and exhorbitant prices,
        used bookstores and publishers clearances are some of the most interesting
        places to shop for books.

        and for $1 I discovered a whole new
        > area of history that I hadn't much considered before. So, of course, I
        > have a tender spot in my heart for Mr. Keller.

        Yes, he's a very good writer. And his book is, I think, a great place to
        start in studying biblical archeology.

        > There is some neat stuff in that book and well worth the effort to read
        > it.

        Yes, the explanation of manna, the geography of the Dead Sea, and the salt
        formations to the south of the Dead Sea are just a few of the fascinating
        write-ups.

        > It's the only book that I've found that explains how Bible
        > miracles could have happened. I thought the book was believable.

        I've wanted to ask for knowledgeable opinions on the book for some time and
        was hoping that other, more experienced readers would agree that it is a
        good source for laymen.

        Tony