Re: Moses means 'walker' or 'shasu'

  • Holly
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 22, 2013
      Nucee

      Here is the English transliteration of the Hebrew in Deut 26:5. As you will read the word is 'arammi' or Aramaean and not Syrian.

      wa anita wa amarta lipna YHWH eloheka ARAMMI (Aramaean)abed abi wayyered misraymah (Egypt) wayyagar sam bimte me'at way hi sam legow gadowl

      Holly

      --- In AncientBibleHistory@yahoogroups.com, "nu_cee" <nuchamber@...> wrote:

      > Your quote of Deu 26:5 "And you shall make response before the LORD your
      > God, 'A wandering
      > Aramean was my father; ...."
      >
      > This does not appear to be presented in the KingJames version...
      > It states "a wandering Syrian"... I do gather the "wandering" relation
      > to Shasu, however, a question arises as to your removal of Syrian to
      > Aramean. Please advise.
      >
      > nucee/nuchamber
      >
      > --- In AncientBibleHistory@yahoogroups.com, "Holly" wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey LM:
      > >
      > > Moses was an Aramaean. He may have been named after an ancestor, Mash
      > (Gen 10:23). Mash means 'walker' in Arabic. It has the exact meaning of
      > Shasu in ancient Egyptian. According to Gen 10:23-32, Aram was a
      > descendant of Shem and they originated on the southern coast of the
      > Arabian Peninsula as is indicated in the names Joktan (Qahtan in
      > Arabic), Sheba (Sabeans), Ophir (meaning super abundance in Arabic), and
      > Havilah (also means super abundance). Ophir and Havilah are names for
      > the incense producing regions on the southern coast of the Arabian
      > Peninsula and they refer to Yemen, Oman and very possibly Abyssinia
      > (Ethiopia). The Sabeans were trading partners with the Judeans, the
      > Israelites and the Tyreans. For a full list of Judea's trading partners
      > see Ezekiel 27. Also see Deut 26:5 which explains that Moses was an
      > Aramaean:
      > >
      > > Deu 26:5 "And you shall make response before the LORD your God, 'A
      > wandering Aramean was my father; and he went down into Egypt and
      > sojourned there, few in number; and there he became a nation, great,
      > mighty, and populous
      > >
      > > Mshh is the Hebraic form of the Arabic word Mshy which means to walk.
      > The 'y' suffix in Arabic often becomes the 'h' suffix in Hebrew. Again
      > 'msh', the name of Moses' ancestor, means 'walker' in Arabic or 'shasu'
      > in ancient Egyptian. The Hebrew and the Midianites with whom they were
      > associated were the Shasu to the Egyptians.
      > >
      > > Holly
      > >
      > > --- In AncientBibleHistory@yahoogroups.com, lloyd barre lmbarre@
      > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Most people think the Mose is Egyptian, like Tut-mose, Ramoses and
      > so on.
      > > > Moses was an Egyptian so his name is Egyptian.

    • nu_cee
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 26, 2013
        Hello Holly,

        Another question arises as to why Syrian and not Aramaean. Any ideas?

        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 26, 2013
          Nucee:

          It is thought that these Semites originated as a tribal federation in Syria.