Re: Moses means 'walker' or 'shasu'

  • Holly
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 21, 2013
      Hey LM:

      Moses was an Aramaean. He may have been named after an ancestor, Mash (Gen 10:23). Mash means 'walker' in Arabic. It has the exact meaning of Shasu in ancient Egyptian. According to Gen 10:23-32, Aram was a descendant of Shem and they originated on the southern coast of the Arabian Peninsula as is indicated in the names Joktan (Qahtan in Arabic), Sheba (Sabeans), Ophir (meaning super abundance in Arabic), and Havilah (also means super abundance). Ophir and Havilah are names for the incense producing regions on the southern coast of the Arabian Peninsula and they refer to Yemen, Oman and very possibly Abyssinia (Ethiopia). The Sabeans were trading partners with the Judeans, the Israelites and the Tyreans. For a full list of Judea's trading partners see Ezekiel 27. Also see Deut 26:5 which explains that Moses was an Aramaean:

      Deu 26:5 "And you shall make response before the LORD your God, 'A wandering Aramean was my father; and he went down into Egypt and sojourned there, few in number; and there he became a nation, great, mighty, and populous

      Mshh is the Hebraic form of the Arabic word Mshy which means to walk. The 'y' suffix in Arabic often becomes the 'h' suffix in Hebrew. Again 'msh', the name of Moses' ancestor, means 'walker' in Arabic or 'shasu' in ancient Egyptian. The Hebrew and the Midianites with whom they were associated were the Shasu to the Egyptians.

      Holly

      --- In AncientBibleHistory@yahoogroups.com, lloyd barre <lmbarre@...> wrote:

      > Most people think the Mose is Egyptian, like Tut-mose, Ramoses and so on.
      > Moses was an Egyptian so his name is Egyptian.

    • nu_cee
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 21, 2013
        Your quote of Deu 26:5 "And you shall make response before the LORD your
        God, 'A wandering
        Aramean was my father; ...."

        This does not appear to be presented in the KingJames version...
        It states "a wandering Syrian"... I do gather the "wandering" relation
        to Shasu, however, a question arises as to your removal of Syrian to
        Aramean. Please advise.

        nucee/nuchamber

        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 22, 2013
          Nucee

          Here is the English transliteration of the Hebrew in Deut 26:5. As you will read the word is 'arammi' or Aramaean and not Syrian.

          wa anita wa amarta lipna YHWH eloheka ARAMMI (Aramaean)abed abi wayyered misraymah (Egypt) wayyagar sam bimte me'at way hi sam legow gadowl

          Holly

          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 26, 2013
            Hello Holly,

            Another question arises as to why Syrian and not Aramaean. Any ideas?

            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 26, 2013
              Nucee:

              It is thought that these Semites originated as a tribal federation in Syria.